Good puzzle: connect the six boxes without crossing any lines

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/05/good-puzzle-connect-the-six-b.html

4 Likes

Those aren’t lines!

14 Likes

now how do i get the lines off my screen? - maybe shouldn’t have used Sharpie - oh wells

… aaaand, that wasn’t intended to be a reply to you - clicked wrong button - poor internetting day for me

9 Likes

Line does imply straight and point to point, but I assumed pretty quickly that wasn’t the case. I do like the answer though, good puzzle.

5 Likes

5 Likes

Lines cannot be used to solve this puzzle - nor are they in the solution provided.

4 Likes

OK, mine works, but is way more complicated than the given solution

29 Likes

I was converging on something sort of like that when I gave up. I hope my entry into the putative afterlife isn’t dependent on logic puzzles, otherwise I’ll be shoveling out Satan’s stables with a coke spoon until the heat death of the universe.

6 Likes

Draw a line between objects? Or draw a line connecting objects?

2 Likes

The solution becomes clearer once you realize it’s tricky. And disappointing.

6 Likes

Someone has played the Tron light cycles game too much.

10 Likes

Let me tell you, as non native English speaker/writer. This puzzle is mere a language joke, than other. :wink:
#define line

4 Likes

Using actual lines.

11 Likes

AND the lines don’t need to be straight.

It seems obvious after thinking about it, but that threw me for a loop (!) at first.

2 Likes

Sure they are. They’re not straight lines, but nothing in the puzzle used the word ‘straight’.

Consider a yellow line road marker. Does that road marker cease to be a yellow line if the road goes around a curve? If so, what is it called for that curved stretch?

5 Likes

That last part makes no sense at all. I assume it’s a typo.

That said, I thought it was good. All this whining in the comments about how they aren’t “lines”… :triumph: If this was in a geometry textbook, you might have a point, but outside of specialized fields, curved lines are “lines.”

4 Likes

Brilliant! Nobody ever said…

1 Like

“The lines can’t go through, along, or outside any of the boxes or the rectangle enclosing them.”

I found this instruction confusing. If by ‘outside’ the boxes you meant beyond the outermost edges of the set, then you said nothing more than they should not go outside of the rectangle enclosing them, which would be redundant. Of course, if by outside you meant the line cannot be outside any individual box, the puzzle would be impossible on its face.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it have to be two points?

14 Likes

I’d say you struck a chord, there, but then we’d be going round in circles…

11 Likes