Google and Facebook's "fake news" ban is a welcome nail in the coffin of "software objectivity"

Just because something has a grain of truth doesn’t mean it isn’t fake news.

5 Likes

Did the thing this article is about actually happen as described in this article?
– if the answer is NO, it is invented, exaggerated, or altered, it is FAKE NEWS.
– if the answer is YES, it is being reported truthfully and objectively, then it is ACTUAL NEWS.

5 Likes

I’m afraid you’re going to have to upgrade the speed of your relatives.

8 Likes

Is the list going to be public? How would users be able to have their say? How can you check the news about what happens let’s say in Aleppo or Mosul and tell if it is true or not? Also does that make you exposed to the news itself? What about news sources like Russia Today, or Al Jazeera or CCTV or FoxNews?

How will this policy apply to other countries? I spent good chunk of my life living in Serbia under Milosevic. We used to gather our news from web sites that government routinely labeled as fake. How about countries like Turkey? How is this different from what Erdogan has been accusing foreign social media of?

3 Likes

Not just kept such sleaze, bragged that his views encourage “diversity” in their corporation.

1 Like

How will they be able to “have their say”?

Cancel your account.

1 Like

Well that is easy to say and believe me I am considering it, but my family and friends live all across the world. I did a little count recently and my high school friends now live in 17 countries. I am stuck without a real viable alternative.

I think all of those questions are exactly what they’re trying to figure out right now.

I have no respect for Facebook but given its presence as a news source for millions of people I hope they figure it out.

Again, I think the criteria is as simple as fact-checking against AP/Reuters/etc. Al Jazeera America was the best fact-based news when it was in business.

5 Likes

I’m not being glib, there is no other suggestion.

Facebook does not court public opinion.

2 Likes

Not getting certain sources off of Facebook, won’t mean you can’t directly access them.

I would have a problem with a government black listing sites. I don’t have a problem with private entities curating what is displayed.

4 Likes

The simplest litmus test we have to determine if a news site is real or fake would be verify their real world location.

2 Likes

What if ISP decides to start curating? Or company running DNS?

FB is just the last link in a very long chain of companies on which we depend for communication and sharing of information. Why should they be the ones taking on the burden of verifying the validity of information?

If we start going down that slope who knows where we end.

How could than anything based say in US be trusted when reporting on events in for example Finland.

What if the website is hosted in AWS but run by an entity from abroad?

But enough about Wikileaks…

6 Likes

Is it too much to ask for Facebook to stop showing us shit that wasn’t posted by someone we’ve friended or follow? Wouldn’t that solve this dilemma for them while simultaneously cleaning up our feeds?

I assume that’s what we’re taking about, not that Facebook is going to censor your stupid friends when they post garbage.

4 Likes

Well this here is a problem. I gave 4 examples and you chose to replay to 2. I am not trying to pick on your words but merely to illustrate the point.

Truth is I don’t really know about fact checking abilities of Al Jazeera. I don’t have any way of verifying this. Same goes for all 4 I numbered. The best I can do is assign certain amount of belief to each of them. I do so by comparing them to each other by putting them in a context. I don’t feel comfortable with giving up that control to someone else.

An ISP blocking certain sites would fall under net neutrality. Support net neutrality if you are seriously worried about this. There is no reason to suspect any major ISP would do such a stupid thing. They are more worried about throttling Netflix and charging you for better access.

Facebook already curates the content, whether that be not allowing boobies, or not allowing private firearm sales, or other things. That is not challenging our rights to free speech. Limits by private companies are completely different from legal limits presented by the governement.

7 Likes

I look forward to Boing Boing dropping Peter Sheridan’s round-ups of similar nonsense.

2 Likes

What if the same sort of outcry that is now forcing FB to consider this move starts demanding the same thing from my ISP?

No, it’s not a “problem” that I didn’t answer your post point-by-point.

Again, I don’t care what makes you comfortable.

Have a nice day.

6 Likes