Google uses paid search results to shake down businesses, says Basecamp CEO

Yep, really feel sorry for a „small, independent“ tech company with a worldwide user base that turn up as the No.1 search result in a Google search. Having to fight those evil ads while taking for granted to show up at all.
Nothing to see here.

2 Likes

This one time at Basecamp…

3 Likes

Yeah, I was going to say I’m pretty sure Bing do this. Duckduckgo is my engine of choice but I sometimes use ecosia.org (for the trees!) and it’s powered by Bing. Just yesterday I noticed searching for a company gave me ads for their competitors.

TBH, it kinda feels like this isn’t really news, but no-one’s bothered to complain about it before.

n’t

I think they dropped this.

I’m seeing two ads before the Basecamp non-ad result. The first is for Asana, which is comparing itself against Basecamp’s product. I wonder if Google has pulled Basecamp’s ad (sarcasm not allowed?)

It did occur to me that Google (being located in Silicon Valley) might have some such randroid “disruptive” reasoning. But even in those terms it’s dumb because, which is the more likely outcome?

1. My plucky upstart toothpaste brand squats “Colgate” for pennies, and I become rich while they splutter helplessly
  2. The second they notice my brand, Unilever’s team of marketing professionals squats my trademark, paying twice what I can afford, and wait for my business to sink beneath the waves
2 Likes

Quit using Google’s search engine as my default many moons ago and quite happy that I did. Now I only use it once in a while to do a comparison w/ some other search engine’s results. Google always comes out on top…of the advertising slime, that is.

That was always just a catchphrase.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.