GOP platform: repeal campaign finance laws, allow unlimited dark/offshore money in US politics

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/07/19/gop-platform-repeal-campaign.html

1 Like

Holy Guacamole! Friday can’t get here fast enough

4 Likes

So, did Trump ever actually cared about the problem of big money politics? Based on the platform, the answer is, no, Trump never cared, and in fact, he’ll make the situation far worse.

Hey now, that’s not fair. Clearly Trump does care. He cares a great deal that there should be more free unaccountable money for him and his pals.

13 Likes

I don’t think he’s getting that superPAC money. I can see him cutting them off, just to show them who’s boss.

1 Like

It’s too bad that all the Trump supporters won’t realize that their whole rant about how he’s an outsider billionaire beholden to none and that’s why he’s better able to fix things than a Washington insider is all null and void because he’s always been in it for himself and the systemic corruption gets perpetuated because the corruption benefits the corrupted and Trump loves things that benefit him.

14 Likes

So did the GOP platform go that next step further and include a price list for “favors” “list of recommended contribution amounts” for various levels of candidates?

7 Likes

Is there anything in the GOP platform that doesn’t come off as creepy, invasive, bigoted or corrupt? I’ve seen reports that they want to bring back Glass-Steagall but I know that can’t be right because that sounds like a good idea.

9 Likes

4 Likes

I have seen rumblings that both the Koch brothers and Sheldon Adelson have more or less conceded the presidential campaign and are getting harder to snooker into donating. Their only concern is whether this will carry down to the House races, since the Senate may become a lost cause as well.

Just remember, these guys are rich, privileged assholes. They aren’t geniuses.

3 Likes

As a side note, that’s a weird choice of aircraft. Looks like one of the NASA shuttle transport 747SP, shortened fuselage, and the extra rudders. No real point, just a very specific airplane.

1 Like

Given the volume of cash involved, they should’ve used the Guppy.

2 Likes

Somehow these arseholes always manage to surprise me with the brazen depths of their evil, despite how hard I’ve tried to understand just how despicable these fucking scumbags are. I consider them to be as vile as I can imagine, and every week or so, bam! Not trying hard enough to hate these cunts.

3 Likes

They need to start a system of peerages.
The UK used to have hereditary peerages. Then someone realised you could only sting the rich family once, and the idea of life peerages came in so you could sell them to the same family every generation or so without overfilling the House of Lords.

1 Like

As usual, both parties are wrong.

Campaign finance law as it should be in seven words.

No cash
No foreign contributions
Complete disclosure

Some interesting bits:

The Declaration [of Independence] sets forth the fundamental precepts of American government: That God bestows certain inalienable rights on every individual, thus producing human equality; that government exists first and foremost to protect those inalienable rights; that man-made law must be consistent with God-given, natural rights; and that if God-given, natural, inalienable rights come in conflict with government, court, or human-granted rights, God-given, natural, inalienable rights always prevail; that there is a moral law recognized as “the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God”; and that American government is to operate with the consent of the governed.

So, despite the First Amendment, there is One True Religion, and it determines what rights people should have, not the Government.

Only [the up-to-five Supreme Court appointments that the next President might make] will enable courts to begin to reverse the long line of activist decisions — including Roe, Obergefell, and the Obamacare cases — that have usurped Congress’s and states’ lawmaking authority, undermined constitutional protections, expanded the power of the judiciary at the expense of the people and their elected representatives, and stripped the people of their power to govern themselves.
In Obergefell, five unelected lawyers robbed 320 million Americans of their legitimate constitutional authority to define marriage as the union of one man and one woman.

So they’re not even bothering to mask their contempt at the current Supreme Court and its rulings.

The Fifth Amendment:
Protecting Human Life Outlawing Abortion

Using an Amendment that was meant to prevent unjust punishment to unjustly punish? Not cool.

The Democratic Party does not understand that coal is an abundant, clean, affordable, reliable domestic energy resource.

I’d want to post the Bender “let me laugh even harder” GIF, but I’m not laughing.

The central fact of any sensible environmental policy is that, year by year, the environment is improving.

Ditto.

Has it been effective in the past and is it still absolutely necessary? If not, end it.
[…]
[The threat of illegal immigrants] is why we support building a wall along our southern border and protecting all ports of entry. The border wall must cover the entirety of the southern border and must be sufficient to stop both vehicular and pedestrian traffic.

Way to stay consistent!

We call on state officials to preserve our public colleges, universities, and trade schools as places of learning and the exchange of ideas, not zones of intellectual intolerance or “safe zones,” as if college students need protection from the free exchange of ideas. A student’s First Amendment rights do not end at the schoolhouse gates. Colleges, universities, and trade schools must not infringe on their freedom of speech and association in the name of political correctness. We condemn the campus-based BDS (Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions) campaign against Israel. It is anti-Semitism and should be denounced by advocates of academic freedom.

Yes, that’s one continuous quote. Free speech for all (unless it’s speech I disagree with)!
(Note: this is not an endorsement of the BDS movement, of which I do not have sufficient knowledge to either endorse or condemn).

America: The Indispensable Nation

Okay, now that’s just offensive.

I won’t lie: there’s a lot of truth in that platform, especially when they are pointing out the problems of poverty, and that a ridiculous number of American’s problems could be solved by eliminating it (though, of course, there’s lots of room for disagreement on how to do that). However, their steadfast refusal to ignore the danger of climate change, their insistence that regulation is always bad, and their narrow-minded, argument-proof repetition that the policies they argue for come directly from God and thus trump (heh) any other consideration…

It does not give me hope.

3 Likes

It’s too bad Scalia’s dead or he’d be able to point to the part of the Constitution that says that. Being such a strict originalist and all.

I think he’d say that there’s nothing in the federal Constitution about marriage at all!

Since the Tenth Amendment says “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people,” I think he’d say that it’s not the place of the Federal government to define marriage, one way or another.

I doubt he’d have carried that argument to its logical conclusion and stuck down the “Defense of Marriage Act” in its entirety, but there is such an argument that he could have made.

1 Like

Trump…'ll make the situation much worse

It applies to almost anything!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.