Government costs rise when the local newspaper dies

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/11/government-costs-rise-when-the.html

3 Likes

For those who, like me, had to look it up: in the world of interest rates, one basis point is 0.01%. One hundred basis points equal a one percent change in the interest rate.

3 Likes

specialized terms of art, step one in any confidence game.

3 Likes

This calculus is certainly true of San Diego, the Union Trib is all but a fire starter rag these days.

2 Likes

Can someone with the energy to read this tell me if they took into account lowered state/federal funds? That’s been a huge cost factor in my particular locality. Those funds have fallen over the last ten years (not even taking inflation into account, which makes it worse) and local levies have had to make up the difference or services have been cancelled.

Well yeah. Why do you think people on the right bought up so many newspapers?

1 Like

This goes from merely chin strokingly interesting to stunning when one takes into account how non-adversarial most local papers were to begin with.

1 Like

Don’t know why anyone thinks that bonds are a good way to finance ongoing costs of government in any case. All it has to recommendation is the ability to kick the cost can down the road.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.