Great deal on a good kitchen knife sharpener

The ‘fine’ part of the sharpener that @frauenfelder is hyping here is essentially the same thing, two crossed ceramic rods. As long as one avoid the carbide bladeater part of the thing, it won’t harm knives.

If you want a pretty darn good 2x72 without scratch building it, look at the Coote grinders. Relatively inexpensive because you supply the motor and controls (I used a salvaged treadmill for mine). I sold mine cheap to a friend when I had the chance to buy Bob Engnath’s old Burr King.

1 Like

Totally triggered! There are many fine makers making cleavers of all design “bespoke”.
(honestly, if you can imagine it, there’s a custom maker making it)

Sorry, gotta apologise here as I’m speaking from an Australian food industry perspective and only around everyday professional use knives, as well as domestic. Very multicultural food culture in Melbourne and have spent much time in Japan so I guess this has been my perspective.

Perhaps a better analogy would be to suggest that everyone that learns a musical instrument learns how to tune and look after their instrument, a player has to develop an ear and a relationship to their instrument.

Was just a bit ‘triggered’ by the way that food in ‘the West’ is so abstracted and divorced from nearly every aspect of the process. The re-inventing the wheel around sharpening a knife and that some of these time saving devices will take years of life off a well crafted tool.

You just have to hit the asian markets, particularly any Chinese markets. Inexpensive cleavers of decent quality galore!

We’ve got a chain market here in the USA called “Ranch 99”, and that’s where I got my Chinese cleaver. Good old HC (non-stainless) steel with a wooden handle, and the heat treat on it is fantastic for what it’s supposed to be doing.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.