HACKED: Perceptics, license plate reader provider for US Border Patrol at Mexico border

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/24/hacked-perceptics-license-pl.html

1 Like

Beats writing them down by hand?

‘Boris Bullet-Dodger’

boris

5 Likes

4 Likes

Ok, so I’m generally against this technology as the only people really in the market for it would tend to have authoritarian uses for the data it produces.

I can see why Perceptics cares about their business being hacked.

My question is what about this data breach is sensitive? Various law enforcement agencies probably don’t want to be identified as clients. (Oh well)

I have to admit in terms of leaked data about me I’m not sure if I care that my license plates and location date/time stamp gets out there.

Oh, a judge must have put a gag order on the marketing director or the firm. No? Oh… They don’t want to comment any further. No gag order and sub judice isn’t in play either. They can, but they don’t wanna.
Why reporters accept the obvious “can’t comment due to investigation” BS is beyond me. I don’t know how many times I’ve seen some corporate talking head or politician use the tactic but I know why they do it. The press never challenges them on it. Even though there is a clear public interest in uncovering more information, the press never pushes back.

On the other hand… Yay!

2 Likes

But to what extent are you ok with this?

1 Like

For no particular reason I hope the hacker was some bored kid in Mexico who decided it was fuck the system day just because they could. It doesn’t take much to amuse me anymore.

It does seem like a bit of an ask that it was a bored kid in Mexico pulling out a juried victory for liberty, but there’s nothing to say the hat trick should be missed!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.