Hackers demand $3.6m bitcoin ransom to unlock Los Angeles hospital medical records

FYI: For anyone feeling daring enough to load a PDF from the website of a hospital that got catastrophically owned; apparently they paid up; but assert that the ransom was only 40BTC.

As expected, extensive use of the passive voice was made.

2 Likes

It’s great they’re back to “normal”; it’s sad they had to pay up.

As far as costs go, $17K is probably less than one more day without a functioning system.

I don’t doubt that $17k was easily the most sensible choice for them; even if they did have a well-oiled-machine of an IT department an all-hands-on-deck scramble to restore everything from backups can get unpleasant for an enterprise of any size; and it’s entirely possible that various awful embedded medical devices don’t allow you to make backups of their OS/software loadout without the vendor freaking out on you.

What is unfortunate is that paying ransoms is like not vaccinating your kid. Fine and dandy if you get to do it and nobody else does; problematic once everyone starts making the locally-sensible choice.

I hope(but do not necessarily realistically expect) that this incident will inspire them to beef up IT and get some real backups in place. Even if ransomware didn’t exist; hardware failures sure do.

I like how you pretended you were responding to Professor59’s post, while not actually saying anything related to it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.