Hackers demand $3.6m bitcoin ransom to unlock Los Angeles hospital medical records

[Read the post]

Sounds like something Shkreli would do.

3 Likes

Have they called Scorpion? Or CSI: Cyber? The Lone Gunmen? Maybe Neo?

Do I watch too much TV? Yes.

Either way, no way can they pay the ransom. The precedent would be disastrous.

1 Like

This is why you have backups.

You do have backups, right?

8 Likes

What about the precedent of having terrible computer security? That seems pretty disastrous, and I doubt anything will change after this clears the news cycle.

4 Likes

I got one of the new chip debit cards. The places we go the most still donā€™t have it setup even though they have the readers to handle it. Business doesnā€™t care in the least if it doesnā€™t affect the bottom line.

We have a really neat solution in the UK. Itā€™s the businessā€™ problem if they accept a bad signature on my card, but mine/the bankā€™s problem if they accept chip and pin that isnā€™t me.

Basically every business changed on the day the rules changed.

3 Likes

Me also, what a PITA. Iā€™m on my third one. Are they Made in Britain or something?

Only if it came with fish.

Iā€™m in the US, and I often sign as Elvis. Iā€™ve never been questioned on it.

2 Likes

Actually the problem is the roll-out was shittily managed. Business does care because it does shift liability onto them, but itā€™s literally that there is a backlog.

Why waste time with all that pointless scribbling? ā€œXā€. The Enlightened Manā€™s signature.

And I have been questioned about it.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Itā€™s pretty fucking shitty to attack a hospital, I hope a hilariously ironic fate befalls them.

1 Like

If your card is also leaking oil then, yes, probably made in Britain

1 Like

well played

The banks dragged their feet on getting the specs right, the card companies dragged their feet and now they are complaining the businesses arenā€™t ready? Americaā€¦

I liked the part about Wally Mart being ā€˜ahead of the gameā€™ but they canā€™t do debit cards with the chipsā€¦sort of sums up Wal-Mart to me.

Uh, isnā€™t there a law or two that if a death occurs while committing a felony, the death is treated as a homicide? This is a hospital, numb nuts!

In a better universe than ours the bone cancer fairy would already be on the case. As it is they probably picked a hospital for a favorable combination of high value and notoriously dreadful security(unfortunately, network-connected medical devices running antique OSes are more the rule than the exception).

1 Like

3 Likes