Half U.S. households lack income considered necessary to buy average-priced used car as prices soar

You sound like our young driver :laughing: My '15 Crosstrek is newer than that, else I’d have already been mercilessly harangued about it.

(I guess compounding the problem, is that there are 2 head gaskets, and heads, on a boxer engine)

From that article:

A precise torque procedure pins the gasket flush with both metal surfaces to firmly seal everything in place. Head gaskets are supposed to last the life of an engine and should only require replacement with major repair work.

During & right after college, I had an '84 Chrysler Laser that went thru 3 head gaskets (and I think 2 if not 3 cylinder heads) in the 2.5 years that I drove it (it was about 6 years old when I got it). I think after the 2nd gasket we found out that the head bolts were supposed to be torqued only up to a certain point, else they’d stretch and not hold the head & gasket how they should be. In hindsight I don’t know why that woudn’t/shouldn’t be the case for any car, or were Chrysler’s bolts especially crapulent?

That car was very nice, for the very brief intervals when it did not have one major malfunction or another. But even ~30 years after that experience, I will never buy a Chrysler product again, I don’t care who owns the company now.

2 Likes