Harry Belafonte, singer and civil rights activist, RIP

I wanted to see the broadcast and this was he second result.

6 Likes

I was lucky enough to take my mother to see him at the Wolf Trap outside of DC in 2001. One of the best concerts that I have been to. She pretty much raised me on his music.

5 Likes

I find the lyrics especially powerful today on his passing. Belafonte has returned to the Mountain and I am sad.

5 Likes

Jim Henson considered it his best work in the series.

He also made appearances on Sesame Street

3 Likes

The movie was how I heard about him first. I was a white teenager, it was the 80s so there was no Internet, and I lived in a northern Canadian redneck town. In my high school of around 1000 kids, there were a total of two black students, neither of whom were in my year. I loved the song in the movie, and it led me to asking what that music is, who is this guy, etc. In the 80s, this meant trips to the public library. This was the start of learning how different life is for black people in North America, and that things weren’t ok.

So thank you for the music Mr Belafonte, and thank you for opening eyes around the world.

9 Likes

One of his early acting roles and one of his best. The World, The Flesh & The Devil.

4 Likes

And this is one of my favourite speeches ever.

Harry Belafonte at Jim Henson’s funeral:

7 Likes

I forgot about that. That whole service was like :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob:

2 Likes

The final song, One Person, is amazing. You can hear some of the voices breaking.

4 Likes

Ever since I can remember, we listened to Mr. Belafonte’s “To Wish You A Merry Christmas” album on Christmas morning. The actual record is so worn and scratched it’s almost unlistenable but the spirit is there. Luckily it can be found on all the streaming services. The songs just don’t seem as warm as they did coming out of the big wooden hifi stereo.

2 Likes

That Carmen Jones clip is spectacular. What a gorgeous voice, a beautiful person, a good man. Thank you for posting.

2 Likes

it is a great clip, but as @Melizmatic noted… it’s not actually his voice in that clip, but another singer.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.