Harry Belafonte, singer and civil rights activist, RIP

Originally published at: Harry Belafonte, singer and civil rights activist, RIP | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Everyone knows Day-O… here some of his other work:

Rest in power!

Pics from his life…

From Carmen Jones…

19 Likes

Jumped in de last line, RIP:

16 Likes
18 Likes

Just FYI, that isn’t him singing in that scene; it was some opera dude.

7 Likes

Agh! Thanks! But will leave up the clip, cause he’s gorgeous…

Here ya go…

And an Irish classic…

And The Rose (which I know best from Bette Midler’s version)…

11 Likes

Yeah, he was a really beautiful man; inside and out.

9 Likes

Indeed!

And what range he had with his lovely voice…

8 Likes
6 Likes

This was the song, and version of it, that popped into my head thinking of him.

IIRC, this Muppet show episode was the first time he sung, or at least sung some songs, on TV.

4 Likes

i’m surprised that more obits are not mentioning that it seems very likely that Beetlejuice brought his music to a new generation, and continues to do so.

6 Likes

Maybe because it’s not about a largely white, gen x audience, but about a well-known artist and activists? I’m promise that plenty of people knew who he was when that movie came out and did not need to be re-introduced to him.

7 Likes

FFS.

I personally fluv that movie, but you sure as fuck don’t see me bringing it up right now.

7 Likes

Agreed…

3 Likes

true, but younger people likely won’t hear about his art or activism first. everyone has different entry points.

3 Likes

maybe that was true of some white kids, but probably not true of kids who were raised in Black households.

2 Likes

Facts; my kid absolutely knows about more about Harry Belafonte than just the Beetlejuice soundtrack:

5 Likes
1 Like

He was one of the greats!

In 1968, he was a guest on a Petula Clark (of “Downtown” fame) TV special, where they sang a duet.

During the song, she grabbed his arm.

A sponsor rep demanded that they use another shot because he was worried that viewers in the South would be offended.

Clark and her husband refused, destroyed all the other takes, and the show was broadcast with the arm-grab, to no reaction at all from anyone.

11 Likes