Harvard President Claudine Gay resigns amid plagiarism and antisemitism scandals

I totally agree, and that’s part of why I said I don’t blame her for resigning. Harvard’s board, by the way, doesn’t appear to be lacking in either women or people of color. But I don’t know much about Harvard’s organizational structure, so I don’t know who is really running the show.

10 Likes

Or for that matter, Trump claims credit and profits for a number of books that he probably hasn’t read, let alone written. With the exception of the book of photographs produced by Trump that consisted largely of the work of White House photographer Shealah Craighead, which he appropriated and took all proceeds, and didn’t acknowledge her or any of the other photographers. He’s certainly read through that and removed any pictures that are unflattering.

1 Like

“Chris Rufo, you’re no Jack Plagiarism.”

2 Likes

Harvard president quits: Claudine Gay resignation highlights new conservative weapon | AP News

1 Like

Having read a very large number of papers on related issues, and written them through both my and grad and graduate time, they look very similar, and so does every other paper talking about low income housing. Those are essentially boilerplate language for a statement that has to be made in a large number of papers. This is close to a medical case study stating that the patient presented with shortness of breath or a lawyer citing Anderson v. liberty lobby. It’s not novel because it is a basic building block statement and there are only so many ways to say it while staying within the usual academic language guidelines. The only reason I’m pretty sure I don’t have that phrase is that I usually worked with tract level data instead of county.

8 Likes

Gee, I wonder why she was the target when so many conservatives in academia engage in similar or worse plagiarism (cough black woman leading Ivy league school cough). It’s a real mystery…

The fact a conservative asswipe who targets minorities and suspected “liberals” in positions of power praised this is a “scalping,” thus proving his racism is deep down in his bones in so many ways, only serves to highlight this fact even more.

10 Likes

…while doing exactly what they’re screaming about others doing.

3 Likes

David Roberts on Twitter had a similar take: why are we chasing the balls that the Right keeps throwing in bad faith? https://twitter.com/drvolts/status/1742296213628788970
I got curious enough to read it that I created a burner account. Still not sure that was the correct choice.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Not even slightly shocked.

5 Likes

I will be shocked if the same “rigorous enforcement” were to be imposed on a right-wing academic. But I live to be surprised.

3 Likes

Sorry, you’re going to have to wait to be surprised :unamused:

3 Likes

Blah Blah Blah Whatever GIF by Married At First Sight Australia

3 Likes

Blue Ticks, sucking the life out of everything.

4 Likes

academic celebrity Neri Oxman

The Good Fight GIF by Paramount+

“celebrity academic” should not be a thing…

4 Likes

:thinking:

…yeah, I agree

2 Likes

I mean, if someone does good, solid work that is important and becomes influential, then that’s great and people should get recognition for that… but turning it into a celebrity thing is just… meh…

We probably need to revisit the concept of a public intellectual as a culture, honestly…

5 Likes

For sure, considering that in the U.S. at least, such a thing pretty much no longer even exists.

5 Likes

Maybe so… there are certainly academics who have raised their profiles in recent years? HCR for one… Jill Lepore is another? Maybe we look back at the past and the narrative about public intellectuals seem more coherent then they were at the time?

4 Likes

Maybe, but they were interviewed on tv and radio and such, and I think they were much closer to household names than those two are now. Usually men, but even Ayn Rand got an audience with Phil Donahue.

I think decades of constant conservative disdain for “eggheads” and experts and “liberal universities” managed to shove intellectuals right out of the public sphere. The current attack on President Gay and on DEI at universities seems like just another continuation of that to me.

4 Likes