Harvard President Claudine Gay resigns amid plagiarism and antisemitism scandals

Originally published at: Harvard President Claudine Gay resigns amid plagiarism and antisemitism scandals - Boing Boing

3 Likes

“scandals”… these are not real scandals. This is getting a Black woman fired for no reason.

We really need to stop letting the far right control narratives here. It’s not helping.

32 Likes

She crossed AIPAC and they don’t kid around.

The GOP was part of this and it would not have happened without their work here. This is much less AIPAC and much more white supremacist shit heads. We need to stop taking white supremacist shitheads seriously. Chris Rufo should NOT have this kind of power.

26 Likes

Plagiarism? When the GOP guys put the exact same “Thoughts & Prayers” tweet out after every shooting…? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

She was targeted, and it wasn’t for her work.

25 Likes

Ugh. Elise Stefanik (R-NY) is gonna be so smug.

1 Like

She’s Black and a woman; any excuse to force her out was ‘good enough.’

22 Likes

mood GIF

Also, the “plagiarism” was in her wording of her acknowledgements in her dissertation… those are all pretty much exactly the same format… I guess all of us who have written a dissertation or another academic book are guilty of plagiarism now… Which is, of course, what they’re trying to do, get rid of all the “liberals” (meaning anyone who isn’t a white, straight dude) from powerful positions in academia…

16 Likes

Plagiarism is a serious offense, regardless of the source of the complaints. It’s not that difficult to avoid this by using attribution, and all students are beaten over their heads during training about this, so there’s no excuse. She made that mistake.

I would feel more sympathetic if she owned up to it, since it’s her earlier work, but she did not. “It wouldn’t have happened if not caught” is not a great defense, unfortunately. I’m very sure the attack is racially motivated, though.

4 Likes

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

7 Likes

How about we don’t just take the fascists word for it? Chris Rufo is the one who made the allegations and he’s a fascist.

14 Likes

Not plagiarism. Not antisemitism.

They better have given her a hell of a golden parachute.

But that’s usually just for white guys.

15 Likes

Plagiarism is a very serious offense but these were not serious charges of it at all. So basically now right-wingers looking to bring down people they hate know what to scream in order to do it. :unamused:

16 Likes

That is why I followed the link given, clicked through from there and read the lines which are called “plagiarism”. And now I know. I know that this isn’t plagiarism, but an utterly bullshit claim against a highly visible person.

If you look for plagiarism, I suggest looking at the academic “works” of politicians.

19 Likes

Should this not have put an end to the “scandal?” But no, it was never about that. It was a bout a Black woman in charge of a lily white institution.

Angry Jon Bernthal GIF by NETFLIX

14 Likes

Big IF going by your next few statements.

9 Likes

bloomfield hills wtf GIF

That’s my academic opinion on the value of the plagiarism allegations.

I am an academic. I can do argumentum ad verecundiam. Fear my wreath If you plagiarised.

monty python GIF

7 Likes

Cat Save Them All GIF by Best Friends Animal Society

12 Likes

Seasonal; nice!

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

Didn’t Melania Trump plagiarize huge chunks of her 2016 convention speech from Michelle Obama?

Melania should resign too. What’s good for the goose and all that

8 Likes