Haybales hung from London's Millenium Bridge to warn river traffic of repair work

Originally published at: Haybales hung from London's Millenium Bridge to warn river traffic of repair work | Boing Boing

2 Likes

@wazroth might need to add another entry to his 11-8 bridge bingo card. The solution was there all along!

12 Likes

I think this counts as:

8 Likes

True. I still think you should add “haybales” to that box.

10 Likes

I’ll add it to the feature request queue.

7 Likes

fetch the haybales, required by traditional byelaws, to be dangled from the span to warn river traffic of the work… "In accordance with ancient tradition (and the Port of London Thames Byelaws) a bundle of straw is dangled from…

wait wait… as a city kid, don’t know much about agra-stuff, but i believe there is a (strong) distinction twixt “hay” and “straw” - so which is it? (hay foot straw foot)

3 Likes

It’s clearly straw in the picture and the actual quotes from the bridge people only mentions straw, as do the quoted bylaws.

4 Likes

“this haybale is the last straw!”

2 Likes

I mean, yeah, in matters of law and silage there’s a very big difference between hay and straw. In common parlance, especially in this modern era, not so much. To wit: if you go to the county fair and have a hayride, you’re usually surrounded by straw bales, not hay bales. (If someone "well actually"s and demands a refund on this basis, they’re just a jerk.)

3 Likes

IIRC, London cabbies are technically still supposed to carry a bale of hay in their cab to feed the horse.

2 Likes

Straw is best for bedding in cat shelters because it’s more moisture resistant, hay gets soggy and icky.

For a bridge not housing animals I would say it doesn’t matter.

That’s the extent of my straw/hay knowledge.

I hope I helped.

11 Likes

Hay fever = an allergic reaction to pollen causing cold-like symptoms.

Straw fever = attacking a McDonald’s employee because they didn’t provide a drinking utensil.

2 Likes

Thames River pilot coming upstream “Nah, that’s straw, not hay, hanging up there. Nothing to worry about here.”

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.