Health insurance must pay for exoskeletons

That’s exactly the problem, the low bar of what passes as “normal”.

Explains the poor choices on the market aka what passes for mainstream, explains the success of the terrorism hysteria and the security kabuki, explains the generally poor level of most popular things, explains the popularity of spectator sports.

2 Likes

How tiring the world must be for your genius.

Ranting that the world is full of “all the things that @shaddack doesn’t like” doesn’t mean they are idiocy or the world is filled with sheep. It means your preferences are not those of others. That doesn’t make them superior (or inferior). You don’t set the bar for humanity.

Believe me, it is. It gets annoying.

Sometimes a good day happens, when I get to meet interesting people. Often when they need a consultation or a project. But they have low availability, due to being busy at work and with families.

Those with higher availability, whom you commonly meet Outside, bore me to death and vice versa. Zero to glass stare in 30 seconds, that’s what I usually get.

Look at how dumb is the average person and realize that half is even worse off.

Tell me. The market demand is then pushing my favorite stuff up. At least with books I can get those from Russian servers. Nibbling on a monograph about machining titanium alloys and another about nontraditional machining technologies just now, is fun.

No, their lack of willingness to think makes them inferior.

It’s scary how few people understand (or even want to understand) how things they use actually work.

And from what I see in student demand of universities, the ratio of those who want to be lawyers or economists or other parasites vs those who want to do the good stuff is also rather abysmal.

Or those masses who hysterically scream against “chemicals” or gene modifications.

Tell me something I don’t know. If I could, the world would be more interesting.

Also, if the plebes are so not-bad, you may like to explain the popularity of the Food Babe.

Or this, just in:

1 Like

A sentiment that I’m sure Stalin or Mao would have agreed with.

Being a loner that hates most people doesn’t make you superior, @shaddack. It just makes you a misanthrope and, I suspect, unhappy and unsocialized.

All of this is a tangent so I’ll just stop there. You can tell me how wrong I am and we’ll move on.

When are we going to get a well-adjusted and happy, all powerful despot up in here anyway?

Maitreya?

2 Likes

If these can actually replace wheelchairs, they would probably be cost effective. Not just because of fewer likely complications from wheelchair usage, but because retrofitting houses to accommodate chairs can be very expensive. Most homes would need ramps, new wider doorways, etc. This is why the seway-like stair-climbing wheelchair is cost effective, despite being extremely expensive. It is also narrow enough to fit through most doorways.

3 Likes

I won’t comment on your fantasy world where those you don’t agree with are automatically totalitarian.

I did my best. I wasn’t dumb enough to succeed.

People are stressful to deal with. And few are worth the effort.

I’d just like to know your opinion about said popularity of the Food Babe, and of the various pseudoscience hysterias, and how they fit together with your opposition to my opinion that the plebes are dumb.

1 Like

Now we just need to come up with a diagnosis for which the appropriate treatment is a giant fighting robot.

Animesis fugax?

2 Likes

Such a classic story.

And again you are looking at it from the perspective of the user, not the insurance company. I won’t disagree that modern medical insurance in the US is highly flawed, but I don’t see a problem with the idea of a for profit insurance system as long as there is some oversight. Without the ability to turn a profit you might as well go full government supplied healthcare and have everyone pay in, of course how much you pay in could be up for debate. In reality the people with the highest medical expenses are also going to be a group with lower income potential, so any way you look at it those people who aren’t using the system are going to have to pay a reasonable amount to make the whole system work. If not, when grandma falls and breaks a hip at 70+ there isn’t a need to fix it then.

The other issue is the fact medicine has found a great deal of the “easy” cures and now a lot of focus is on specific drugs or new materials/techniques. All those technologies cost money, and that’s going to be reflected in the price of everything even if you don’t use it. Now I’m not saying there isn’t a ton of waste in the medical/insurance fields, but new CT scanner tech or cancer drugs aren’t free either. You are right health care shouldn’t be a gamble and there is a ton we could do to make the basics affordable for everyone and make preventative medicine the default, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a place for classic insurance as well.

Yes, I am. And that shouldn’t be surprising to anyone except an insurance exec or someone who hadn’t had to argue over an unpaid yet legitimate insurance payment.

You and I come to this discussion from different sides, apparently. I see the insurance industry as a form of gambling. However instead of paying out when they’re supposed to, they seem to find ways to deny claims. Most people don’t have either the time or the energy (because they’re ill) to fight a mult-dollar legal pyramid scheme.

You’re wasting your time trying to convince me to look at it from the perspective of those poor millionaire CEOs. I really can’t feel sorry when they run a company that gambles with people’s health, and then whine when they get called on it.

3 Likes

Do you know what they call 10,000 engineers at the bottom if the ocean?

Obviously, if not blatantly, imprecise.

An undersea city?

1 Like

Where do I sign up?

2 Likes

Google?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.