Hear groans and laughter as the price tag for Apple's new headset is revealed

From the perspective of someone who did some work with AR in education nearly 10 years ago I can’t agree more with you and @HMSGoose . We had rejected old VR stuff out of hand already but were convinced of the use of AR in fields such as design education.

4 Likes

It could have some real downsides too. This all-too-plausible video certainly made an impression on me:

(Plus it was the subject of about half a dozen Black Mirror episodes.)

2 Likes

Been done for a while now. Just one example:

3 Likes
4 Likes

And yet it’s just going to be used to show us ads everywhere all the time. Want to know what that sign says? Here’s a 15 second ad first.

1 Like

Wow.
I only encountered Apple computers in the early 90’s.
Had no idea they were around in the 70’s.

(There’s not some time-sliding-bastard shit y’all are not sharing with me?)

How is this price unreasonable for the top of the line cpu, 2-3 screens, cameras, microphones, speakers, all in a form factor small enough to fit on your face? It’s like 3 iPhones packed in there.

I paid 1400 for an iPhone a few months ago. I’m probably going to be out another 3k+ for a new Mac soon. Tools cost money. Good tools cost more.

All the ‘wahhh I don’t like it’ about it is from people who hoped we’d get some matrix type interface or some otherwise alien tech that fit in a thimble and ran on hopes and dreams.

It’s the same reaction the iPod got. That changed everything from how people listen to music to the industry itself.

All the whining feels like “nobody needs more 640k of RAM” or 2001 /. iPod reaction, "No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame.”

1 Like

They were quite a successful, well-known company by the early 80’s. Ever seen that famous “1984” commercial where they introduced the Macintosh?

2 Likes

The Apple II (their first real seller- the Apple I was just a toy) was released as part of what we now call the Trinity of ‘77. The Apple II, the Radio Shack TRS-80, and the Commodore PET came out that year, and all were of the form that you could simply plug in, turn on, and do stuff. That was the moment computers started to move from electrical engineering hobby toy to productive tool for normal people. It took a long time to live up to that potential, but that’s when the potential began.

5 Likes

Seek out the book Accidental Empires by Robert X. Cringely at your library. It’s a fun read about the birth of Silicon Valley and the first tech barons. It was adapted into the PBS series Triumph of the Nerds in the '90s, of which there are a bunch of episodes uploaded on YT.

3 Likes

The iPod met pretty substantial praise out of the gate A Look Back at PCMag's First iPod Review | PCMag Apple iPod review: Apple iPod - CNET iPod Review - IGN Sure, there were also criticisms of being bound to a single OS, smaller storage than some competitors, and high price, but the actual reviews were strong. Also the iPod saw its biggest success after overcoming some of those critiques.

Because it can have all the tech in the world and if the use case isn’t there for most people, then it is too high for a toy.

Or it is from people who have heard the hype around VR and AR finally being ready every few years for decades and still don’t see the tech exhibiting a form factor that is ready for general use. The three phones you could buy have more than two hours of battery life, no social stigma, can survive being caught in the rain, and we have experience using them in direct sunlight. So yeah, Apple introduced the Mac, the iPod, and iPhone, but they also introduced the Newton, hi-fi, and mighty mouse.

4 Likes

Toy is subjective. Agreed, most people don’t have the use case. I probably do. That said, they’d be stumbling over each other to get it if it was 500 bucks, use case be damned.

The three phones you could buy have more than two hours of battery life, no social stigma, can survive being caught in the rain, and we have experience using them in direct sunlight.

But they don’t do what this does.

So yeah, Apple introduced the Mac, the iPod, and iPhone, but they also introduced the Newton, hi-fi, and mighty mouse.

I like my Mighty Mouse just fine. I have yet to run into the “I immediately need this 5 minutes it took to charge to work on this overdue deadline” scenario, and if it ever arose, I have a usb mouse ready to go. Like everyone in the computer using USA. I owned a Newton, too, but it’s failures were eclipsed by my lifestyle of not needing an organizer of any sort. I could be convinced to get a Hi-Fi if I found it at the thrift store.

TBH, I find more issues with their software than hardware.

:+1: Thumb up for this alone

2 Likes

Yup. 30+ years and counting. BTW, still waiting for for all that cybersex. (TBF, cybergolf has started to look more attractive from year to year by now.)

and more ecologically friendly

2 Likes

I like the headlines : “It’s the best AR and VR experience I’ve ever had.”

For that price it better damn well be when most other headsets are around the ~$500 - $1000 mark.

I wonder if they got the idea from the same place I did- the book Airframe by Michael Crichton. (which, for being published in 1996 and this thing being a very minor part of the plot, was pretty far forward thinking.)

1 Like

As an example, if it could run AUM (a fantastic AU host/sample player/more) on it, and toss a bunch of AU control panels out into the virtual space, focus on one, and make a hand gesture to tweak parameters and the mixing sliders in AUM, I’d say that there are many, many musicians who’d want that.

It’s one of those ideas that seem bloody obvious. After someone had it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.