@hecep's Modusoperandi thread

All that blood rushing away from the brain.

7 Likes

Sounds more like a man than a woman, to be fair

7 Likes

Well, an optimistic man, at least.

3 Likes

What the hell happens around here while I am away? What? Eh? Had to read through more than 200 comments, and I still donā€™t know what to make of it.

Quite obviously it is not enough that everyone outside this Mutantenstadl is going bonkers. I am now convinced I need to do it myself to keep up with things. Freaking out seems to be an option, if even bb bbs regulars canā€™t help itā€¦

Or could someone please gif me an explanation to all of this?

(Donā€™t worry about exploding explaining the MOAB stuff and 53 cruise missiles which went down during my digital dieting, I got those news from newspapers I found on the train while commuting across borders.)

10 Likes

What happened was something like this

@modusoperandi was asked to stop derailing a specific news thread started by jlw. He did not, and was subsequently banned. For two weeks.

Then @othermike asked what the ban was for, and received a ten year ban.

Then @japhroaig said he didnā€™t want to be on a board that bans regulars for ten years, and got a one year ban.

Then a few other regulars got hit with 24 hour bans, including @Melizmatic and @nimelennar
So then a bunch of regulars set their avatars to transparent in protest, to signify the disappearance of regulars.

EDIT:
@othermichael not @othermike
also, the 24hour bans occurred before the 1-year ban on japhro

17 Likes

No need to edit anything to include me; I donā€™t feel slighted by the unintended omission - Iā€™m just glad that this go round my time-out was so brief.

As ficus noted:[quote=ā€œficuswhisperer, post:201, topic:98850ā€]
Our beloved @Melizmatic has been banned multiple times including during the recent spree (for a mercifully short amount of time at least).
[/quote]

Given my past experiences, I know that I personally need to tread lightly; even asking questions can be taken as an affront.

In my shock, I forgot that momentarily.

MIndy, Missy, Millie, Melz; who could keep track of all those snooty witches?

:wink:

20 Likes

Close, but, in my case, at least, the timelineā€™s wrong.

I got banned first for calling attention to MOā€™s posts getting deleted.

Then the warning got posted, then MO ignored it and got banned, etc.

15 Likes

Thanks. Itā€™s now a bit opaque, still, but I can see some shapes emerge more clearlyā€¦

3 Likes

Thanks for this; I havenā€™t been around the past couple days.

3 Likes

[quote]So then a bunch of regulars set their avatars to transparent in protest, to signify the disappearance of regulars.
[/quote]

Is this possible from an android phone?

In the meantime, my avatar is my resting mitch face.

4 Likes

Yup. You can save a ghosts avatar (or save one of these lovely premade ones by @fiddlingfrog), and then upload on your profile settings page. (Itā€™s what I did) Ghosts can also make you a ghostly version of your current one, in the style of the ones below. (Or only partially transparent like @ficuswhisperer )

[quote]

[/quote]

4 Likes

Yes. I was originally a white square before I started using the transparent @modusoperandi.

Just Google 0xffffff and save the resulting image, or save this image below:

Then set it as your avatar.

13 Likes

Common sense; more eyeballs

5 Likes

To be fair, I do get Mindy and Missy mixed up a lot.

5 Likes

31 Likes

Thatā€™s a fair listing of those who, for the sake of comparison here, Iā€™ll call ā€˜Group Aā€™. Then there are those (at the OTHER end of the philosophical spectrum) who have to a noticeable degree placed themselves into what Iā€™ll call ā€˜Group Bā€™. Itā€™s difficult for me to imagine, based on what Iā€™ve read for the past two days so far, that absolutely no one in ā€˜Group Bā€™ has fallen down with The Stockholm Syndrome. And thatā€™s all Iā€™ll say on the matter.

2 Likes

I have no clue what youā€™re sayinā€™, man. Are you sayinā€™ the ghosts have gone soft and gave up on their goals to better fit in with the powers that be? Or what, man. I donā€™t know. I have no clue.

No, no, no, sir, or miss!! I make not reference to the GHOSTS syndrome-wise.

Referring to Softbans would also help. Please look up the syndrome reference.

(Not referring to your concern/questions just now, just thinking out loud, but Iā€™m feeling as if with the bannings and splitting off of my comments originally in BoMO into this existing thread, that I have to carefully meter all that I post. Kafkaesque at this point.)

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah.

The tyranny of the hoster is, indeed a natural circumstance of the way the internet is built. Be they benevolent or malign, the hoster always has the final word, even if they abdicate responsibility to the community at large.

jlw has encouraged setting up an alternative BBS as this one is focused on discussing BoingBoing posts and was created for that purpose alone. It is something Iā€™m exploring and may have something functional by next week.

1 Like

Dogs and dragons. I get them confused.

10 Likes