Helldivers 2's new enemy revealed: Sony

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/03/helldivers-2-new-enemies-revealed-sony.html

4 Likes

It’s a bad situation, but this absolutely will not kill the game like some people think it will. They might lose a couple thousand players, but ultimately most of them will fire the game up on Monday, see the new window, shrug their shoulders and connect to their existing PSN account.

1 Like

Sony should have been legally nuked into a smoldering ruin back when it was “only” installing root kits on people’s computers.

6 Likes

Calling in a Hellbomb.

4 Likes

I haven’t actually played Helldivers, but I get the idea and highly approve. :laughing:

1 Like

There’s been evidence of the community managers in the official discord being pretty nasty to people voicing legitimate concerns. It was enough that dev/streamer Thor of PirateSoftware completely nuked any mention of the game from his discord, despite being a big fan of the game prior to this move.

Sony making moves like this makes me worry about Destiny 2 if they take over Bungie completely

My brain just refused to accept that this also applies to players on PC, because it makes no damn sense.

It’s not like every PC player has a PSN account. I certainly don’t and never have. How many players are in countries where they can’t get (within the TOS) PSN accounts? That includes 65% of countries, including parts of Europe… It definitely won’t kill the game - but part of that is because they already went viral, got their sales, and only now are instituting this requirement that’s going to push people off the service (and with no possibility of getting a refund, which wouldn’t have been the case had the PSN requirement been active from the start).

3 Likes

From Sony’s statement:

Account linking plays a critical role in protecting our players and upholding the values of safety and security provided on PlayStation

Laugh Lol GIF

5 Likes

“As much as I hate my own sentiment on this, I hope this kills player count. It’ll be the only thing that will make Sony reconsider.”

It won’t. If the majority of gamers had any standards or the ability to stick to a boycott, the gaming landscape wouldn’t be the microtransaction-riddled, loot box-infested, unfinished, unpolished, toxic hellscape it’s become.

This. A few people care, most will just obediently roll over and do as they’re asked, unless they literally can’t because of the region they’re in.

2 Likes

And either way it won’t matter, because they already bought the game. “I’ll stop using your servers and reduce your running costs for the game I already paid you for,” isn’t the threat players think it is.

4 Likes

I’m not familiar with Helldivers, figured it was a subscription game of some sort. If not… then yep. Unless they boycott Sony as a result of this, nothing will be accomplished.

This seems like it has the potential to get interesting given that, apparently, they listed the game for sale in regions where PSN accounts are not supported.

3 Likes

It’s online, but it’s not subscription. I think there’s still ongoing bits of DLC, but most of the money going to developers is the up-front cost of the game (and DLC “passes”). So people buying the game and then not playing it is very much to the benefit of the publisher, as it saves on running costs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.