Here's a smart person deconstructing Steven Mnuchin's dumb speech about cryptocurrencies

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/17/heres-a-smart-person-deconst.html

6 Likes

Even the dog got bored. But I hung in there and learned something today, Crypto is not for me.

15 Likes

There are legitimate criticisms of cryptocurrency†, but leave it to these rat-fuckers‡ to criticize it because a social media platform that eventually kicked a few of their Nazi pals off wants to start one.

† Not least of which is that I refuse to shorten it to “crypto” so they can latch onto encryption’s legitimacy.

‡ No disrespect to rats.

12 Likes

AOC grilled the Facebook folks about Libra, both questioning the wisdom of having this massive company also running a currency system and, when their rep said he’d he happy to take 100% of his pay in Libra, making the connection between Facebook’s cryptocurrency and company scrip.

14 Likes

“She is a woman, what does a woman know.” - Every right wing asshole everywhere

also this guy…

7 Likes

I don’t get it.

Is there any actual refutation of the points made in the speech, or is the entire video just a parade of examples of the Tu quoque fallacy?

I mean, on one level it’s not even coherent- “You’re complaining about the possibility for unregulated cryptocurrencies to facilitate fraud, so look at these examples of traditional banks… being caught and prosecuted for fraud!”

6 Likes

Well folks like Mnuchin want to bury this aspect of Libra with the bs he’s spewing.

I’m right there with you… Yes, Mnuchin is awful and potentially even guilty of financial crimes himself. And yes, the treasury has a vested interest in the primacy their own monetary system… None of that means that “crypto” currencies are better that what we’ve got. How does going from a lightly-regulated system to one without regulations make graft and fraud less likely?

6 Likes

Mnuchin’s condescension, dogmatism and inability to simulate human speech are so stupefying that he could have been announcing a roundup and summary execution of all Democrats and I’d never have noticed.

4 Likes

Here the phrase “person I agree with” is rendered as “smart person.”

Your “smart person” offers no credentials and no reasoning. Nothing but cryptocurrency evangelism. This is useless bullshit.

6 Likes

Of course not. Crytocurrency evangelism doesn’t rely on things like coherent argument or evidence. Just the sheer force of their ideas is supposed to get you to buy into a wantonly wasteful “currency” that is not a stable store of value.

6 Likes

Which raises the question: is Mnuchin Turing-complete?

Because if he is, that roundup-and-summary-execution scenario becomes more plausible.

I suspect that if cryptocurrencies act as they are supposed to, they will be wildly unstable. Oh. Wait… That said, why would you dumb fucks trust Zuck with a cryptocurency?

6 Likes

HL Mencken: Nobody ever underestimated the intelligence of the American people.

PT Barnum: There’s one born every minute.

1 Like

Here was Mencken’s actual quote- that got paraphrased over time by others:

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

But you’ll probably appreciate this one more:
“On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

9 Likes

Yes, I was sloppy. I blame mental fatigue.

1 Like

Crypto on the beach, yay! What a channel that is, hmm. Is this the same person from about a year ago that talked about how to buy citizenship on some Caribbean island?

Just a reminder that blatant, unindicted criminal Mnuchin could have been indicted by Kamala Harris, the CA AG when Mnuchin committed his crimes. Granted, the Traitor In Chief would’ve hired someone at least as criminal for Mnuchin’s job, but wealthy criminals must be dealt with one at a time. (Forgive the redundancy; I could’ve just written “the wealthy.”)

2 Likes

You’ve got to be careful with that, it can lead to stress fractures, and before you know it, your cargo hatch can blow; scattering your memories over a huge area.

In process at this very moment. But maybe it’s because my B12 levels are low. I’ll double-up on those.

1 Like