Here's a TV set turned into a useless brick by Android malware

Not talking about a media player pc. Take a compiter monitor. Take a set of speakers. Take a cable tv box. Hook them together, which you can with modern cable boxen and modern TVs. And lo, you have a “tv” set without actually going to the trouble of dealing with a TV.

If you subscribe to a TV service, you have a cable box, so you don’t need a TV tuner and having one just adds needless complexity. If you use external speakers you don’t need the built in sound in a TV. So all the TV is actually doing is being big ass monitor. replace it with a monitor and save yourself endless headaches, especially if we’re talking “smart” TVs.

Obviously this does not work if you require a huge wall-filling TV.

2 Likes

My daughter uses a huge, wall filling screen and a projector. I’m tempted to go down the same route.

6 Likes

And ironically LG phones are a bitch to root…maybe the TV software guys need to talk to the phone department.

3 Likes

Actually the newest "TV"s are starting to be labelled as monitors since they don’t have ATSC tuners anymore. I wonder how long it will be before we just have “Big Screens”, “Medium Screens”, and “Small Screens”.

4 Likes

Ah, sorry. I’ll agree with you there, then-. We don’t use any smart TV features-- other devices like Roku and Tivo and Xbox deliver a much better UI, and we only need one of its 4 HDMI ports since the receiver does the job of switching between devices. If only they made them wall sized at an affordable price…

3 Likes

We got a non-smart Magnavox earlier this year; it’s a little tricky to find a dumb TV these days, but they’re out there.

4 Likes

While my past several TVs have been “smart TV” capable it wasn’t until my latest TV that I actually started using that functionality. The reason is that my newest TV is a 4K HDR setup and most devices these days either don’t support 4K and/or HDR, or if they do, the apps themselves don’t support them.

If I want to watch Netflix, Amazon, or YouTube videos in 4K my only option today is to use the apps built into the TV. That said, I must admit that at least on my current TV the “smart TV” offerings are a million times better than they used to be. The apps are responsive and fast. I actually don’t dread using them like I used to on older devices. Also interestingly my TV has a built in anti-malware (go figure, right?).

3 Likes

We bought a 1080p dumb-TV from Toshiba last year. About the smartest thing it does is let our Apple TV turn it on and off.

3 Likes

The thing I find most interesting/aggravating about the Twitter feed is the number of “experts” calling out the “obvious hoax” because LG TVs run on WebOS, despite his repeated explaination that it was the older Google TV model (LG 50GA6400).

7 Likes

I think this has been re-named the “Trump Effect”.

14 Likes

We’re already there. But who ever told you that all the screen manufacturers wouldn’t have marketing materials built into their screens? Just wait until we’re all in AR most of the time (beyond the fact that we already are, via smartphones) and “actual objects” are all covered in every type of ad imaginable? Remember the chopsticks with advertising messages scrolling up and down them in The Diamond Age?

I don’t think it’s the Dunning–Kruger effect. I think it’s the “Hey, I know something and I won’t bother reading the comments to see if anyone else said that because I’m so clever I’m sure I’m the first” effect.

9 Likes

All available on my HTPC which connects to my TV via HDMI.

I wouldn’t plug in my TV’s network cable if you paid me.

1 Like

Actually, you can get a 40" seiki 4k computer monitor with no TV tuner for a decent price now. You can actually have that setup you mentioned even with a giant screen.

2 Likes

You know what! What ? I’m content with my trusty old Crystal Set, circa 1965. No problems at all, I just crocodile clip it onto an outside ground pipe and I get all I need. All this rubbish I hear about download, upload, streaming, USB ports, big screen, flat screen, any screen. Bloody hell, I just wanna live a peaceful life. Anyone else feel what I’m saying?

6 Likes

…and they failed to say which app.

Was it the app that promised Rogue One from the comfort of your own home?

4 Likes

Not you personally, but answering why a less savvy person might want one. I personally prefer to use the various sticks and pucks like AppleTV, Amazone Fire, and so on. But others do like the convenience of not needing another device to set up.

1 Like

The easy fix would be for manufacturers to include a hardwired factory reset button. That, plus the associated circuitry, should only add a few pennies to the production cost.

6 Likes

I used to try to stay in 1990 too, and blame the consumers. It isn’t working out so well.

7 Likes

an actual brick might be more useful.

5 Likes