High school student wins $250,000 for her video about relativity

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/12/08/high-school-student-wins-250.html

5 Likes

Worth it for the sticker at the very end!

7 Likes

Her “Path Integral” video is also exceptional.

3 Likes

:musical_keyboard::notes: Time keeps on slippin, slippin, slippin into the future getting bunched up ahead of you…:notes:

13 Likes

The 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics granted Einstein the equivalent of $288,809.18 in today’s USD, so she earned nearly as much as Einstein did “for his services to Theoretical Physics” (though it was “especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect", not relativity, so perhaps it’s a ridiculous comparison :stuck_out_tongue: ).

2 Likes

I see what you did there. And I like it.

8 Likes

Well, she nailed it, for me. And the closing comments struck me as a metaphor for our times, perhaps.

“Every observer’s frame is equally valid … before you start making observational arguments with others, first imagine yourself viewing from their reference frame.”

(Of course, rose-tinted specs are nothing new and persuading people that their reference frame is artificially distorted by tinted glasses they were given by those cheating [insert political opponents here] is the hard part.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.