High-speed morse code with a straight key

Morse-Binary-Code

Fun fact, morse code is not a binary scheme.

7 Likes

basic american license was 5 wpm. Technician was just another written test so that was easy. Of course, to get access to all the HF voice bands you needed a general class, which was 13 wpm. Extra was 20 wpm (!)
After about 10 wpm, you really need to stop listening to individual letters and hear them as words. I never got to that point and passed the general by the skin of my teeth.
That was thirty years ago and I still remember being a frustrated 15 yo yelling about having to learn morse code so I wouldn’t have to use morse code.

2 Likes

That’s awesome!

Vibroplex is strictly electromechanical. The dits are made by having a pair of contacts that closes as a weight bounces on a spring. There were two-paddle mechanical keyers back in the day - some of them had clockwork. You don’t really need electronics - it’s just cheaper and easier nowadays.

73 de ke9tv, Kevin (I liked the Advanced call, so never changed when I made Extra. But I did have to learn high-speed CW. I’ve lost it all now.)

2 Likes

Didn’t the original telegraph machines have tiles that could be placed in the machine to automatically encode the signal?
I’m CERTAIN they had paper marking “output” devices.

There was a Jay Leno episode where he pitted a millenial with a number pad phone (dumbphone) against a morse code expert. The kid got smoked.

Smartphone today would def. win.

It’s easier to hear with tone rather than just the contacts clacking.

ezgif.com-add-text (4)

3 Likes

Just love it! This is now in my Must Visit List.

Then what are the wires attached to the key doing?

1 Like

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.