Are you thinking of this?

They are not evil, in fact they are rather simple and charming. But they
are the most dangerous creatures that ever lived because there is
nothing they will not do if allowed, and nothing they will not be
allowed to do…

2 Likes

520415f34e4e0a7d5631839ae5462b73--fry-and-laurie-hugh-laurie

6 Likes

I read the book when I was in 4th grade and probably too young to understand a lot of the humor, let alone the adult context from at least a decade ago, rooted in a country half a world away that I knew next to nothing about at the time. And I loved it, and still do. It was probably the first non-children’s book I ever read.

That said, I have zero interest in a new TV series or movie or any of that. Every now and then I’ll read the books, and maybe some day I’ll give the radio series a try, since it was the original, but it seems like 90% of film and TV these days is remakes. Enough already.

I’m normally the type of person who sighs in disgust at suggestions of reboots or remakes or new versions of this or that nostalgic thing from the 80s. But as a fan of the novels who never got a chance to hear the radio series or see the TV series in its entirety and who was only mildly disappointed with the movie version, and with a hefty understanding each one has its own distinct bits that are different from one to the otherI can say this: I look forward to seeing how they handle the head and extra arm this time.

Additionally: I can only hope it runs long enough that we get to my favorite scene involving a sofa in Life, the Universe and Everything

1 Like

My personal favourite regarding “new” versions of H2G2:
Use the original radio series to make an animated version.

2 Likes

Do so. The scripts are full of notes by Adams about the making of them that are just as hilarious. Plus it is the only place you can get the line ‘Ford do you realize that robot can hum like Pink Floyd’ thanks to copyright lawyers assholes.

1 Like

If you prefer the original audio some of it is on archive.org and a complete set can be bought as audio books

1 Like

I’m really torn about this one. While some of Arthur Dents more angsty moments could surely be translated into a lack of likes on IG or some such it is also great to conserve past feelings.

That said, I practically got all of my political philosophy from Adams. No need to translate the idea that presidents are just there to distract the populace from what is actually going on. Although I’d much prefer Zaphod Beeblebrox to the 21st century wackos on offer now.

3 Likes

I don’t think a more modern Arthur Dent would be worried there wasn’t more interaction on his Instagram.

He’d be irritated that instagram existed and he wouldn’t have gotten past the sign-up page.

Especially if it was Thursday.

It’s the same feeling, and I think that’s what Adams was trying to say, by having a house destroyed by a council, and a planet destroyed by Vogons, for the same sorts of reasons.

That’s what I’d like to see preserved, that meeting of human with inhuman bureaucracy or technology.

7 Likes

Ah, the Vogons… Isn’t it sad, that we no longer need them to wreak planetary havoc? So perhaps the Vogons would all go on Instragram and then surely Arthur Dent will have none of it, Thursdays or not.

1 Like

Love “The Burkiss Way”. Love, love, love it. Only HHGTTG is on its level for British radio comedy. Although “Think the Unthinkable” is a respectable third place.

I think the important part is to get the “feeling” of the original material. I saw Dirk Gently Holistic Detective Agency, the American remake. It was strangely hyper-violent and was influenced heavily by the showrunner Max Landis. On the other hand, Fargo imbraced the Cohen Brothers pacing and even when it took huge chances (flying saucers?) they kept the mid-western low key humor.

5 Likes

For all we know, the Dolmansaxlil Shoe Shop Intensifier Ray on the Moon is active, but malfunctioning. You know, not making people crazy for shoes, just crazy.

2 Likes

why has no-one yet mentioned the game ??

2 Likes

Because they can’t get out of the bloody bedroom?

10 Likes

I love in no particular order Giles Wemmbley-Hogg Goes Off…, The Blagger’s Guide (hey Veep ended make more of this now), Millport, Phil Ellis Is Trying (new episodes in August!), The Men from the Ministry, H2G2, The Elephant Man, The Boosh, Jam, Fist of Fun, Lionel Nimrod’s Inexplicable World, How To Burn A Million Quid etc.

Endless list really.

Ah ,perfect - thanks for digging that up. I forgot to look it up on the weekend, but I see now it was not specifically about the sticker at all. This explains those times I saw it for sale with the sticker as a printed part of the cover and not a sticker at all - in the literal sense of the word.

1 Like

THRUPP__400x400_4MB

2 Likes

I had a teacher named Burgoyne at school; obviously he was nicknamed Zebedee, and was often welcomed to class with a chorus of Thrupping.

2 Likes

Hopefully it gets a better treatment than Dirk Gently. I felt that series was a bit too much lip service and not enough content.