Hollywood actor arrested in $227m ponzi scheme

Originally published at: Hollywood actor arrested in $227m ponzi scheme | Boing Boing

5 Likes

On top of the ignomity of getting arrested for this, the guy also has to suffer this sick burn in the first line of the LA Time article:

Zachary J. Horwitz, a small-time actor, was arrested Tuesday in Los Angeles

Not “an actor.” Ouch.

19 Likes

A fool and his money are soon parted, especially in Hollyweird.

7 Likes

Man, stupid is so damn cheap.

Also, “investors”. :rofl:

9 Likes

the water is deep here…
the french twist part… ‘to die for’… movie comes to mind
but not in a really big way…

1 Like

I think I’ve seen this film…

10 Likes

He acted well enough for this, though. Greed is a powerful motivator. That’s probably how a con man like Madoff managed to fleece a few big-time thespians:

15 Likes

This is still pocket change compared to the amount of money people lost to Bernie Madoff and Madoff’s IMDB page is even less impressive.

9 Likes

A grifter must be adept at…

15 Likes

These stories always make me wonder what the grifter’s long-term plan was. You’re using your own name and promising something the marks will expect you, eventually, to deliver. What then?

It reminds me of the list of cannabis-hiding strategies in the 70s classic A Child’s Garden of Grass (“The Official Handbook for Marijuana Users”). One strategy was “throwing it way up high”, which the book rated “excellent, for very short periods of time”.

13 Likes

TheProducers

13 Likes

He stole from the wealthy, which means that the odds of him going to prison are pretty high.

11 Likes

It’s a real shame, as he was my top pick to play a young Walter Peck in my Ghostbusters prequel.

4 Likes

12 Likes

For a split second I saw that photo of him and thought “Ben Affleck is running a ponzi scheme??”

4 Likes

See also: Johnny Walker Blue Label.

6 Likes

If he doesn’t have an “unfortunate accident” before the trial.

2 Likes

No doubt in my mind: That particular victims list greased the wheels of justice.

4 Likes

I thought it WAS William Atherton at first, too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.