Home blood typing kits - family fun!

I should like ask my dr what blood type I am. Surely it’s on a chart. I would love to try this if it didn’t involve poking me. Do you have to use a finger? I swear my hands and feet are more sensitive than the average persons. If it was like my arm I would be OK with it.

But, not that you know you’re blood type, you can be like a real Operator and get patches for your bags and hats with morale patch velcro -

1 Like

I think it’s better than the alternative, which gives desperate people an incentive to lie when answering the health questionnaire, and possibly introduce contaminated blood into the system.

7 Likes

Good point.

Some time ago I wrote a piece for the Kyoto Journal on blood type and personality type. Like you said, this is bunkum… and yet, as a social psychological “knowledge” or meme, if enough of a population begins to modify their own actions in response to the same information, then it gets weirdly interesting. Here’s the article: Transfusions of Modernity.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Geez all I did was flunk my hepatitis test. Double check from my doctor with more scrutiny for a false positive but still can’t give anymore.

I must have paid through the nose for a test last year …we’ll let you know
still trying to translate into snail mail reminder

You know, I actually have O- patches on some of my bags. Just because I’m a universal diner doesn’t mean I’m a universal receiver. Better safe than sorry, I suppose.

I also used to end up in the ER from bike crashes every 18 months or so, so it seemed prudent.

Our local non-profit blood bank got sold to a for-profit blood bank. The donations tanked. I think the local hospitals are looking to start up another non-profit donation center. The idea of “donation” is a strong incentive, even though the donated blood acquires a price.

2 Likes

I’m B but I identify as AB.

6 Likes

My parents are both O-positive. Assuming each is heterozygous for the Rh marker, I have a 25% chance of being O-negative. That probability alone is reason enough to give blood.

After reading this thread (and seeing that photo of people lined up around the block to give blood in the aftermath of the Orlando shooting), I don’t need any more convincing. I’ve started taking an iron supplement (per Red Cross recommendations) and plan on donating within the next two weeks.

You people are awesome.

4 Likes

It was more fun in college cause it wasn’t just vending machine type individual wrapped cookies but whole platefuls of good cookies and pizza and cake and fruit…

I kinda miss being able to give blood.

4 Likes

[quote=“KXKVI, post:21, topic:80041”][quote=“nimelennar, post:8, topic:80041”]
Neither of my parents could, due to the medicines they were on.
[/quote]

Yep, us walking pharmacies are ineligible.
[/quote]

This was my initial concern, too. However, according to the American Red Cross, the list of disqualifying medications (and vaccinations) is actually very short, and most of them impose only a waiting period after you’ve stopped taking them.

2 Likes

I think if people knew how many people were making substantial profit off of blood donations, they might rethink donating. Imagine all those people in Florida being told that hospitals were going to sell their blood at $350 a pint to victims of the Pulse shooting.

Just so long as you use the correct restroom.

3 Likes

Wow, I would have expected traditional CNS stimulants to be on the list. I’m not sure they’d be happy with getting a donation full of adderall.

1 Like

Or an MAOI. I was surprised those weren’t on the list.

1 Like

Or even CYP450 inhibitors. I can’t tell you how many medications I’ve read the box on that say you shouldn’t drink grapefruit juice while taking them.

I also like to eat at a variety of restaurants. (appreciating your unintentionally funny typo).

7 Likes

Good news on that story – it went through!
[Gay men abstinent for a year cleared by Health Canada to donate blood] (Gay men abstinent for a year cleared by Health Canada to donate blood | CBC News)

The agency that oversees the national supply of blood and blood products applied to Health Canada earlier this year to reduce the waiting period. Now approved, the change will take effect across the country on Aug. 15.

[…]

Jane Philpott, Canada’s health minister, said there is an “incredible desire” on the part of the government to reduce the donor period further, in keeping with their campaign promise. The platform said a Liberal government would put an end to the “discriminatory” restrictions placed on gay men.

Good news both on the “treat people equally” front and on the “expand the donor pool” front!