Homemade steampunk neck-brace

[Read the post]

1 Like

Man, I read ā€œHomemadeā€ and thought ā€œHrmm, that seems like the kind of thing Iā€™d happily let somebody make for meā€ - then I realized that you really just meant ā€œself-decoratedā€

I see chest-gears and I think:

5 Likes

The steampunk gearsā€¦ could they be lasercut? Using actual metal cogwheels for cosmetic purposes comes to me as a sort of a waste of good parts.

Can anyone tell me how a hot-glued scattering of apparently-pointless gears came to be the default representation of ā€˜steampunkā€™ as an aesthetic?

I mean, Iā€™m familiar with the literary antecedents of the genre, butā€¦ why gear wheels hot-glued onto hats and the like?

(And which is more curious: the lone, unengaged, unpartnered gear looking sadly pointless, or the three (or more) triangulated gears, interlocked into total immobility?)

Is it just that modern-day folks donā€™t understand how gears work or what theyā€™re for? Or is there something more complex going on here?

4 Likes

Maybe it is a metaphor about being a useless cog in an useless unnecessarily complex malfunctioning machine?

2 Likes

2 Likes

Snark aside, itā€™s a nifty way to decorate what I presume is a pretty crappy thing to have to wear.

3 Likes

Then thereā€™s the ur-steam-punk-neck-brace worn by Gabriele Ferzetti as Morton, in ā€œOnce Upon a Time in the Westā€ā€¦wonderfully complicated, and on a steam trainā€¦

3 Likes

Oblig.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if Hark! A Vagrant is obligatory the way XKCD is, but it should be.

1 Like

I know steampunk is just an aesthetic, but I still wish it really was people making steampowered/clockwork equivalents of electronic items.

1 Like

Even pressurized air instead of steam would be fun. It can be retrofitted later and air-only is easier in some ways.

Hope 3d printing of things like mechanical linkages, gears and valves will help here.

airpunk. dunno, feels too soft to me.

1 Like

Mechanics, pressure tightness, condensation issues and water hammers, corrosion issuesā€¦ too much for everything at once.

Start with air. Graduate to steam. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, steam is too hot for most of the printable plastics. Air systems will allow parallel development until 3d printing of metals becomes an at-home mainstream.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.