How a quirky Finnish comic came to resonate with Chinese millennials

I mean, I was joking about slacking as the key understanding of that generation, as plenty of Gen Xers in fact DID engage in various forms of activism, right across the world. [ETA] I study this era, so I’m well aware of that. I didn’t mean to offend or to simplify the concepts of a generational cohort or to suggest that one way of experiencing it is “correct”, more I’m trying to show how these have worked in history. I don’t expect that a term like slacker, which was largely used to discredit the activism that did exist among that generation, was the gospel truth, but rather a mass culture interpretation for easy understanding that elides the more complex reality.

2 Likes

Hmm. I don’t find those labels very helpful. Particularly as there is an offset of 5 to 10 years between the US and Europe, depending on location. Which would put me in Generation X on the left side of the pond while being a Boomer on the right side of the pond. Confusing. I think I’ll go with Cold War Kid for the time being.

1 Like

Generation Z is already killing things like social media and retail chains!

chaser

3 Likes

Hey, don’t worry. I have internalised irony (and a good part of cynicism) trying to belong to GenX.
:smile:

“Their entire life, if it’s not shareable, it didn’t happen.”

“Generation X knows you didn’t even read the whole thing. It doesn’t want or expect your reblogs; it picked the wrong platform. Generation X should have posted this to LiveJournal.”

I do think that sums it up, doesn’t it?

Wrong platform?

2 Likes

Are you SURE you’re not Gen X, then? :wink:

3 Likes

I mean… it’s probably cause there are much fewer jobs out there for teens today?

Also, yay for Gizmodo!

2 Likes

But who actually does that? Boomers are old selfish wankers. I thought everyone knew that.

Gen Z doesn’t care about owning things? Ha. Try ‘Gen Z can’t afford to own things, has to get by somehow’.

Yeah, I think labelling young people as foolish is a bit of a stretch generally:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.