Boomers love to say "woke" but (surprise!) hate "OK boomer" and "mansplain," according to new survey

Originally published at: Boomers love to say "woke" but (surprise!) hate "OK boomer" and "mansplain," according to new survey | Boing Boing

6 Likes

The Office Boomer GIF by MOODMAN

Oh! Also…

bernie sanders news GIF by NowThis

26 Likes

I wonder if any of the toxic boomers that love to say “woke” took this survey and experienced a moment of self-awareness. I don’t expect many did.

15 Likes

Ok, boomer, mansplain, “woke”.

28 Likes

Don’t forget PM Jacinda Ardern’s awesome Karen insult in parliament :smiley:

18 Likes

Anything slang can be uttered in a derogatory way, it ain’t what you say, it’s how you say it.

P.S. using one subset of society to wedge against another part of society is wrong, we’re all human beings, don’t divide, unite.

33 Likes

Shockingly the older generation doesn’t like the slang the younger generation uses. And hates it when the younger generation mocks the older generation.

And the younger generation loves its own slang and hates it when the older generation uses its words against it, or makes fun of the younger generation.

16 Likes

mad city fox GIF by Gotham

18 Likes

Oh those silly people with one similar characteristic grouped only by that one thing by marketing companies.

Let me be a corporate dupe and reinforce divisions.

20 Likes

“Why don’t you all just ffffffffffffaaaade away, and don’t try to dig what we all say.”

20 Likes

FYI, if you follow that link, you can’t get back. I hate sites that do that.

5 Likes

you know I kind of wish that the language change that would come out of this was more like:

Imagine if we just called the Boomers in the US “generation Omega” and let that be the end of the marketing-tainted terminology used to look at demographic cohorts in a specific time period. There are no more generations after that because the concept of “generations” no longer made sense in the post-modern world or whatever the hell “now” is.

I dunno… I like the thought.

14 Likes

Long click on the back button, you’ll be fine…

4 Likes

28 Likes

Do any boomers use “woke” who don’t live in TrumpWorld?

8 Likes

A) I am a boomer.

B) Former twice-impeached president is a boomer.

Ergo:

C) Former twice-impeached president and I are boomers.

11 Likes

Clarity for those non-boomzers

9 Likes

Latin slang, circa Generation XV.

Generation XIV never use it right.

Generation XVI mock it (“OK eXVer”) and won’t get off my lawn.

12 Likes

The selfish and entitled Bobo-type Boomers would love being seen as “the last real American generation” too. The ones who love using “woke” as a pejorative are the same ones who go on endlessly about having saved the world in the 1960s and who eagerly embraced Reagan in the 1980s, consumer “authenticity” in the 1990s, and then the idea that we were at “the end of history” just before 2000.

It would be a win-win for everyone if we just stopped naming 22-year generations at the Boomers and labeled everyone born after 1964 as one big “Generation Screwed”.

16 Likes

Visual given for clarity. You’re welcome.

7 Likes