How about some 3D-printed vegan salmon?

Instinct related to cultural experience with food spoilage? Especially with fish for some cultures, and for milk in others.

4 Likes

I’d love to try this. Not expecting it to taste like salmon, but if it can perform a similar function (including tasting good, obviously) in similar dishes, then that’s all that is needed. After all, meat substitutes are to meat as drag is to gender - a means of breaking down preconceptions and allowing us to think differently of the parts that constitute our world.

5 Likes

Because they haven’t got the flavors properly tuned yet. There’s only one version of Impossible meats that goes with its flavor, and that’s hamburgers. Anything else tastes weird because of that smoky flavoring.

I suspect it’s probably going to be the same for the salmon. Maybe not smoky, but just as weird.

4 Likes

Sounds to me like you haven’t tried that many vegan meat substitutes, as that flavor is really limited to those burgers. The main challenge isn’t so much flavor as it is texture - producing quasi-ground meat products is easy as it doesn’t require creating something that fundamentally doesn’t exist in the source plant material, such as long muscle fiber stand-ins. That, along with structural and chemical differences in the proteins and fats involved (plus the presence of starch) is why there are dozens of great faux-ground-meat alternatives but hardly anyone can produce a palatable vegan steak. The problem isn’t the flavor, it’s the mushiness. There are exceptions though - here in Norway (and Sweden, possibly other countries where the same brands are sold) there are some excellent chicken substitutes that manage to emulate larger pieces of meat well - not a full chicken breast, but things simulating chicken cutlets or sliced chicken breast.

4 Likes

Not repulsive as such, no. Just a lot less fun.

Wouldn’t want to be on the creative team trying to come up with a package and label for this.

“Delicious mycoprotein, now with more filamentous fungi”

2 Likes

Indebted GIF by NBC

2 Likes

Having just rewatched several episodes of The Last of Us, that’s a hard pass :nauseated_face:

1 Like

3 Likes

“We made it from poop!”

1 Like

Eat it before it eats you !

1 Like

Nah, you can get that stuff in the states too.

It’s not that difficult to find faux meat at most places these days, even the odder things (hell, my local Kroger-offshoot has seitan, 20 years ago I had to hunt that stuff down)

2 Likes

Not Capt. Sisko! He learned from his father - only the best ingredients for his jambalaya on DS9!!! And he wouldn’t want a smack from old dad for using replicated food!

Joesph Sisko looks like a smacker!

7 Likes

That’s fair :grin:

4 Likes

I’m limited by distance to the Mexico border, and San Ysidro’s not a place to find much organic or high-end stuff unless you go to Grocery Outlet, where it’s mostly a hit-or-miss because what they get is mostly overstock or gone-out-of-business. I shop in a food desert.

3 Likes

Understand Captain America GIF

Season 3 Discovery GIF by Paramount+

2 Likes

Norway is hardly a mecca for vegan food - after living in Sweden for a couple of years I’d argue it’s closer to the opposite. There are options, yes, but overall few and with little variety (I can get half a dozen varieties of ground faux-meat easily, and probably more varieties of vegan burgers, but even basic stuff like vegan yoghurt is pretty sparse). There are some exceptions, but from what I saw in just a single Meijer supermarket when visiting friends in Michigan this summer, there is far more options in the US.

4 Likes

There are, yes, but I’m still stuck shopping in a food desert. It’s not an even distribution of supply.

3 Likes

Getting some serious Omega Mart vibes from this one:

2 Likes

And Meijer ain’t exactly the exemplar for Michigan. There’s Whole Paycheck, Plumb Market and FreshTyme in metro Detroit, plus co-ops and random other organic stores. For example, Ann Arbor has a new-ish local chain called Argus Farm Stop and the perennial Produce Station.

4 Likes