How about some 3D-printed vegan salmon?

and bajor is right there after all. it’d be criminal not to use some fresh ingredients and help the local economy.

( wait. do star fleet officers get paid? post scarcity in a recovering war zone is so confusing. )

4 Likes

I’d give the product itself a go, but the promotional video is a complete turn off.

It probably won’t simulate the price.

2 Likes

What about “crab sticks”?

I find it hard to believe people would still want to eat them after seeing the video, but the comments suggest otherwise.

1 Like

If they could get rid of the fishy smell and taste, and replace it with bacon, I would eat a lot more fish.

5 Likes

Suggestion: gene therapy to change your taste buds so that they only register the flavors of bacon - meaning anything you eat would be differentiated only by its level of baconiness.

6 Likes

Any recommendations?

2 Likes

There’s some irony here as Jello is, essentially, flavored meat (skin and bones, to be precise).

7 Likes

Can we please stop replacing every vegetarian option with something that “tastes like” meat/fowl/fish already? My girlfriend’s been vegetarian for years and it’s getting damned hard to find any pre-cooked food not jumping on the bandwagon.

Newsflash: most people who don’t eat fish, fowl or flesh don’t want stuff that tastes like fish, fowl or flesh. Bring back the Quorn Salsa Fillet!

4 Likes

Can’t fool me, that’s chicken nuggets.

2 Likes

My favourite faux-chicken is the Swedish brand Hälsans Kök and their ‘filet pieces’ (diced chicken breast-esque) and ‘crispy mini filets’ (breaded chicken tender-esque). Easy to cook, pretty versatile (I’ve used the filet pieces in a bunch of different pasta dishes, fried noodles and other asian-inspired faire, and tacos; the crispy mini filets are new so I’ve barely had time to try them, but I liked them), the taste is good (it’s not chicken, but it’s umami-rich something-or-other) and the texture is great (pleasantly chewy, not mushy at all, crispy things are crispy). Not a huge fan of their burgers though - there are definitely better options there.

After a quick bit of searching, one major negative: apparently this is a Nestlé brand. Ugh. On the positive side, that means they’re present in a lot of places globally (the non-Swedish branding seems to be Garden Gourmet), but it also seems like the products offered vary a lot across different loactions. And of course their parent company is then pretty much as evil as they come. Yay!

1 Like

true. but which part of the chicken is the nugget exactly? :wink:

( and don’t get me started on buffalo wings. lies! )

1 Like

Super Bowl weekend alone is responsible for thousands of flightless buffalo. A real tragedy.

3 Likes

poor little guys…

The Nature Conservancy Camera GIF by PBS Digital Studios

2 Likes

Where do you get that? I don’t think I’ve seen it. I remember that a vegan friend of mine picked up some faux chicken breast in Rema, but I don’t remember the brand. I was surprised by how good it was, though

Kiwi, mainly, though I think Coop also carries Hälsans Kök. It’s in the frozen section though, so not among the regular refrigerated faire. You might have to check around a bit though, as at least here in Trondheim, the selection varies a lot between stores of the same chain, let alone between chains. Which is also really my main annoyance with going vegan: having to go by so many different grocery stores just to get everything covered.

1 Like

I’ll l have a look, thanks! Never would have thought to check the frozen section

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.