How Amazon's crackdown on dirty sellers has made it easier for dirty sellers to kill good sellers' accounts

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/20/weaponizing-0-tolerance.html

1 Like

Oh hell. Do we not do unicorn chasers anymore?

This isn’t NSFW or anything but I could use a little antidote for existential dread / late-stage capitalism overload.

1 Like

What a shock that people who were abusing the system to sell their products would abuse a different system to knock out the competition and sell more products. Who could have predicted this?

It’s not unlike moderating forums really. Moderators can knock out obvious abuse easy enough, but savvy badguys can also use them to suppress dissenting opinions if they are too gullible.

2 Likes

I like Amazon and I think prime is one of the best deals out there, but I only buy big brand items like Lego or National Geographic, anything else I like to go to local retailers to browse and buy.

2 Likes

It’s not a crackdown. Call it what it really is: a tragic farce enacted for PR purposes by greedy corporate monsters who don’t give a rat how many lives they ruin as long as their stock option values don’t drop.

3 Likes

@doctorow should add @frauenfelder’s “deplatforming” tag from the article just before this one:

“The market will sort it out!”

5 Likes

I think ‘Kafka’ or ‘kafkaesque’ must be Word Of The Day™ amongst the BB editors - they need to elbow it in to a post before the end of the week, or the loser gets the shitty present at the end of the office game of Secret Santa.

4 Likes

End that, cut the rest of these problems by about 90%.

2 Likes

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.