How does new music sound on an 8-track tape?

Yes but this was also used in radio drama and live theater.

I think recorders were much less common than playback-only units. An 8-track recorder is a great instrument for tape music / noise too, one of the nice things about it is you can put any length of tape in them and record while changing tracks etc to make all sorts of cutup weirdness. When my recorder still worked I used to get junk cartridges and just unspool and discard most of the tape and re-splice it so there was just a minute or two on there, long enough to not be obviously a ‘loop’, and connect it to my mixer so I could kind of throw sounds onto it on the fly and have them come back a little later all tape-saturated and warped :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had a Dynomite-8 player, too!
The Kresges store sold bootlegs 8-tracks at the register, and my first tape was a version of Rush’s Fly By Night. They were good bootlegs, but the labels were funky - the album cover was printed as a square on the yellowish front label, with the band name and album title printed underneath. The back label (on the yellow paper again) had the list of songs, including the writer’s credits, but no other information except a copyright sign and year.

1 Like

That’s awesome!! Makes me wanna find one again now. Ha

1 Like

My Dad had one of these bad boys in his post-divorce space-age bachelor pad. It even spins on the base. We listened to (pre-disco) Bee Gees and Janis Joplin (Pearl) on it. It was exciting technology at the time. You could even stuff it with D cells and carry it by the built-in handle to play outside. This was the future, baby! Remember, this was back when cassette tapes were just for dictaphones (not for recorded music).

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.