How "German mistrust" of the public turned Mein Kampf into a bestseller again

I think we can all agree somebody is ‘splainin’ something.

4 Likes

Was she trying to write YA fiction? Otherwise, she seems to have failed her actual target audience.

Good point… is it a woman’s interpretation of mansplaining, but, like, in a supportive way?

1 Like

Yikes, that’s a scary book to cite as a favorite as a young adult. Also an interesting comparison since Rand’s work is so massively influenced by it. Nietzsche’s “ressentiment”, Rand’s heroes always battling people trying to redefine what’s good, much etc.

D’oh! And ha, nicely done.

Beats me. If I tried to describe mansplaining to you, I’d be mansplaining. All I can do is ask questions when I’m confused.

2 Likes

Fair enough. Though I think we can guess what she felt the proper role of a woman was via her writing.

2 Likes

I don’t know how directly Rand was influenced by Zarathustra, but maybe I hate it in part because it’s a pale imitation. Nietzsche had a couple of really interesting ideas, but Rand, as far as I can tell, took the worst of those ideas and mashed it up with prosperity gospel.

The points about being a “great” person sound awfully different coming from a captain of industry than they do coming from a mountain-dwelling ascetic who can talk to animals.

Hank: “I wanted you as one wants a whore – for the same reason and purpose.”

Dagny: “If I’m asked to name my proudest attainment, I will say: I have slept with Hank Rearden. I had earned it.”

5 Likes

7 Likes

I think I was the opposite, as my most influential writers as a teen were Kurt Vonnegut and Hermann Hesse. I found Nietzsche not as interesting as Kafka, and then read Listen, Little Man! by Wilhelm Reich.

And then I went to Germany and actually learned German.

2 Likes

I don’t find Nietzsche very interesting at all. I was very excited to read him after reading Zarathustra, and then I was like, “Oh no, this guy is an idiot,”

But when ranking my “favourite books” it’s worth knowing that I basically didn’t read things that weren’t assigned to me in school. Egghead did not like their bookie-book, it turned out. Even now I find it rare that I’m interested enough in a book to actually read it.

Would it be … Randsplaining? :dark_sunglasses:

7 Likes

Best enjoyed while sitting in an orgone box.

1 Like

Based on all the reports of it being such a tedious book to read, I would think that the book is very, very rarely converting anyone to neo-nazism. When neo-nazis acquire the book, they’ve likely already been converted through other means.

1 Like

That might be a suitable gender-unspecified word for “Mansplaining”.

5 Likes

Yikes, that’s a scary book to cite as a favorite as a young adult.

Is it? Many YA’s could use a fire lit under them.

When Zarathustra was alone, however, he said to his heart: “Could it be possible! This old saint in the forest hath not yet heard of it, that God is dead!”

1 Like

The best line from Zarathustra, and the reason it is worth reading over Randian nonsense:

Verily, I advise you: depart from me, and guard yourselves against Zarathustra! And better still: be ashamed of him! Perhaps he hath deceived you.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.