How many towns in the world have the same name as yours?

Yes, but not simply Wichita - and the Pat Matheny/Lyle Mays album As Wichita Falls, So Falls Wichita Falls came out 20 years before Scott Phillips novel The Ice Harvest. I think that poem might have been floating around a lot longer than that.

The Tijuana name is interesting, as it could be anywhere, it’s only the states of Baja California and Baja California Sur. Anywhere else in the world, and those two copy each other.

3 Likes

Henniker, NH likes to boast the same, confirmed by this site for them, as well.

The town I live in is listed as the only place in the world with that name. And, that’s why I am cagey about it.

6 Likes

Which cries out for the addendum “and the only Waunyaneed!”

9 Likes
2 Likes

Ahhh! I zoomed in a bit, and what looked like upstate NY is indeed in Ontario.

1 Like

“Is this Kansas City, Missouri or Kansas City, Kansas?”

4 Likes

I live in Anytown, USA

1 Like

Any of us that have ever lived in Pittsburgh tend to by picky about the H. http://popularpittsburgh.com/whatsinanh/

2 Likes
4 Likes

Isn’t Truth or Consequences in Arizona? And isn’t Elephant Butte in Montana? So where is the sign in the OP?

New Mexico.

Elephant Butte and Truth Or Consequences are both in New Mexico.

4 Likes

Well don’t I just fail.

I remember! It’s Butte that’s in Montana. Butte =/= Elephant Butte except where Elephant = 0.

1 Like

Just what I was thinking, too! Good album.

“Elizabeth”: 19 places
Begins with “Elizabeth”: 147 places
Ends with “Elizabeth”: 74 places

Presumably the “begins with” and “ends with” numbers include the original 19.

4 Likes

There 15 “New Yorks” but 37 “Yorks”, and no “Old Yorks” ( and so far, no “New New Yorks.”)

I just shake my head at how settlers in North America would call a place “NEW Amsterdam” or “NEW York”, but strangely not call other settlements “NEW Boston” or “NEW Plymouth” although they were re-using those names as well (and ironically as settlers moved west then they started calling places “New Boston” and “New Hartford”-- as if Boston MA and Hartford CT are the originals.)

2 Likes

One of my former homes - Poquott, NY - is the only one in the world. Poor lonely little Poquott.

Are you sure you’re not imaginary?

1 Like

“Liz” - one place (in Turkey).

3 Likes

36, and I’m pretty certain all the others are named after ‘my’ Lancaster :wink:

1 Like