How many towns in the world have the same name as yours?

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/27/how-many-towns-in-the-world-ha.html

6 Likes
3 Likes

According to this site, my home town doesn’t exist.

16 Likes

27 - One even in Mexico!

4 Likes

For the UK it doesn’t distinguish between villages, towns and cities. For Somerset it claims 349 cities (there are 2 since Bath was moved to BANES) and it lists the ten largest cities, most of which are small towns. I live on the edge of a village which, curiously, it counts twice.

1 Like

Using the English name for my city, 20, 18 of wich are in the U.S., using its real name, 2, both of which are in the U.S.

1 Like

I entered names of uninhabited places, former towns, and former town names into this thing, and it found all of them.

1 Like

There is a town in Mexico called Poop.

9 Likes

Eight Torontos in the US, only one in Canada.

FAIL: The site claims there is no Punkeydoodles Corners. :astonished:

8 Likes

It claims there are 383 cities in Cumbria :laughing: There are only 498,000 people living there

4 Likes

Well, I’m glad that this site confirms the rather lackluster motto of Waunakee, WI (near Madison), which is “The only Waunakee in the world”.

2 Likes

Nineteen if you’re not picky about the H.

4 Likes

Only two Wichitas and two Tijuanas. Hmm.

1 Like

This website says that Kenosha WI is also known as Chicago.

That has to be a joke.

6 Likes

There is a Wichita Falls in Texas.

there are way more places named Reno in the US/world than i expected.

2 Likes

I checked the place where i grew up in Venezuela and it doesn’t find it. However it does find the next town over.

Also checked my name and there’s 3 places named after me (technically way way more if i look for places containing part of my name). Out of curiosity i checked for places named after nicknames based on internet handles i’ve used over the years and got a couple of hits. There is a Voo in Kenya and Crab in Virginia

1 Like

There is also a [Pittsburgh in Texas].(https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pittsburg,+TX+75686/@33.0007541,-95.0017385,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x8635fde625762da9:0x8e3f605c4fc753b0!8m2!3d32.9954021!4d-94.9657688)

1 Like

If you look for all the letters A through Z, they’re on the Eastern shore of Lake George in Canaan ME.

I live in . . . Disputed Zone.

Really, Hillsboro, since I pay my taxes to them and use their water. But the mailing address is Beaverton. Until next year, when I “move” to Hillsboro when the street names and town boundaries are adjusted.

For the record:

Beaverton: 6 hits, all in the USA.
Hillsboro: 27 hits, all in the USA, which seems unusual.

3 Likes