How many towns in the world have the same name as yours?

No image loaded up.

See? I was right!

2 Likes

I did the same thing, only starting with “Sex-”, and wound up here:

7 Likes

It is true! I have not been there but I’ve seen a sign for it.

4 Likes

There are towns named Trump in Ohio, Maryland, and Colorado, none of which are currently inhabited.

3 Likes

Looking at the frequencies of the towns I’ve lived in: 2, 10, 5, 16, 2, 17, 3, 12

I’m seeing a bit of a pattern. I guess I’m about due to move to someplace with a rare name again…

5 Likes

The same name as me?

Two, apparently. I’ve been to one of them. Not too far from where I live, oddly.

This thread is made for me. I’ve lived in five towns/cities. 40% of which are their only example. Surprisingly neither is a Native American name.
In fact the town I live in now feels the need to advertise its uniqueness. “Only Henniker on Earth”

My home town isn’t quite so smug, mainly because the only reason it has a unique name is because the town fathers couldn’t spell “Leominster.”

2 Likes

Per the site, there are 9 places in the world named City, and 2 places named Town.

That sort of has the makings for an Abbott & Costello wordplay routine:

What city you from?
Town.
Okay, I stand corrected. What town are you from?
??

5 Likes

Interesting. I should still feel sorry for any lower forms of life living there, though. Like beetles, ants, skunks, and Trumps.

2 Likes

Are you talking about Gump, PA; listed on the site.

1 Like

Funny thing is, I was born in Abilene, which is also both Texas (birthplace) and Kansas.

1 Like

Surely most place names are unique.

My current home is in Svelvik and there is only one, the nearest town is Drammen of which there is also just one. But the database is a bit flaky; there are lots of places missing. For instance Brakerøya where I work (a historically important industrial district of Drammen) is missing but Selvik (a village of fewer than 2000 people in the Sande kommune) is present.

2 Likes

There are six places called Village in the world, including two in the US (AR and VA) that are legitimate but no longer inhabited. Village AR was a post office that remained operational until 2002 and was also known as Machine.

There are three Machines according to the site, but none of them are Machine AR, or the Japanese mountain called Machine.

2 Likes

Japan.

Don’t bother checking for Godzilla or Gojira. No go.

2 Likes

Or as the Vikings were the first Europeans to arrive in North America perhaps it should be Ny Jorvik.

3 Likes

I’m always disappointed that there’s only one town named “Zzyzx”, and none named “Xyzzy”.

4 Likes

Boston, Massachusetts was named after Boston, England.

1 Like

Yes, Eboracum in Roman Britain. The official seal of New York, NY contains the phrase Novum Eboracum.

1 Like

The site says there are two Nouakchotts, both in the same region of Mauritania. But I suspect they counted it twice.

I searched Urumqi and found nothing. Searched the old spelling Urumchi and found one, in Xinjiang, China. So they use the new spelling for Xinjiang (formerly Sinkiang), but haven’t updated the romanization of its chief city.

2 Likes

That’s probably true of the Old World (Europe), but North America was settled by homesick and/or unimaginative Europeans who named everything after their home towns, unless they decided to respect the indigenous names. Sometimes they later decided to adopt something more unique (Toronto was initially called York), and sometimes they changed to something stuffy and respectable (Pile Of Bones became Regina).

Newfoundland is a treasure trove of unique names. There is only one Come By Chance and one Joe Batt’s Arm in the world.

4 Likes