How much are teachers paid in every US state?

A casual glance shows a ROUGH correlation between Salary and COL.

2 Likes

In states that don’t have income tax, you can deduct sales tax. I think this is the primary reason I’m giving a gigantic box of receipts to my accountant each spring.

1 Like

Except for Hawaii, teachers there are apparently screwed. Unless classes are held on the beach, them maybe it would be worth it.

2 Likes

The local gov there takes credit for the Sun. That said…

1 Like

Re: maps
Awesome, thank you!!

1 Like

You’re welcome! My googling powers know no bounds.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

On a related note, the Commerce Deptartment’s Bureau of Economic Analysis just release the latest analysis of Real Personal Income and Regional Price Parity:
https://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regional/rpp/rpp_newsrelease.htm
(Yes, for 2016 data. It takes time to actually analyze something.)

Regional Price Parity (RPP) is a measure of buying power. Basically it answers the question, “what does $100 worth of crap really cost me?” RPI is income adjusted for RPP and the personal expenditures index.

For example, If you are moving from Texas (RPP=96.9) to California (RPP=114.4) and want to keep the same buying power, then you better be getting a raise of at least (114.4/96.9 - 100)% = 18.06%.

3 Likes

Oh my! Lake Superior has been drained! And it looks like Michigan has annexed part of Canada!

I mean, really—what happened when this map was being made? Each state’s borders are quite detailed, except Michigan. It’s as if the designer just gave up on accurately representing Michigan. It’s bizarre. Honestly, it isn’t that hard to depict Michigan; there’s lots of prior work to rely on.

2 Likes

Greenville, SC has a nice live theater. (actually multiple. but I’m thinking specifically of the Greenville Little Theater)

The weather is warm and humid most days of the year. But if you go out in the evening it’s pleasant. Good weather for growing tomatoes or peaches. Maybe not so great if you like to walk outside without soaking through your shirt.

2 Likes

I was gonna say “that level of compensation has not been my family’s experience.”

3 Likes

I wasn’t totally serious about that… just the obvious joke.
But i have done my time with hot and humid so personally no thanks.

2 Likes

I think they were trying to include Isle Royale up in the middle of Lake Superior, but it has more wolves than teachers last I checked…

2 Likes

The $ shown might be the average state-wide.

1 Like

Wolfish Teacher

2 Likes

Still looks a little high to me if it’s supposed to be the average. The Sacramento Bee said average teacher pay in CA was $67,871 back in 2011 and I don’t think it’s gone up all that much in the last 7 years.

4 Likes

MI’s are skewed by an older teacher population. They should show starting pay to get a better picture.

3 Likes

Do CA elementary school teachers get COLA? At 1% a year (at least), that yields ~$73,000 in 2018.

1 Like

It’s also a map of population density. It’s almost as if choropleths aren’t good maps!

2 Likes

This is why I’m glad the Lowcountry Jazz Festival is indoors. During a visit to SC a few years ago, I went to a Caribbean Festival on the riverfront (after sunset). It was still so hot and humid that I was ready to jump into the river, just to cool off. Only the thought of alligators held me back.

1 Like

In Maryland, where my sister and several of my friends teach, the variation in teacher salaries across school districts is pretty extreme; salaries in Montgomery county supposedly run $35,000 higher than those in Dorchester, on average, but since all the official numbers seem to be pretty fake when the teachers start comparing salaries the real discrepancies turn out to be even higher.

1 Like