How much money does a YouTuber make from 1,000,000 views?

Does that include the ones where the presenter repeats himself 98 times through the vid?

2 Likes

Almost certainly an automated process, not a person. YouTube got really good at algorithmically scanning millions of minutes of incoming video, ridiculously fast. I’d imagine nine years later they’re even better at it given the rise of CPU power, CPU cores, and especially GPUs!

4 Likes

So, you’ve asked me a question… and a very good one indeed, I might add. (In fact… I just did. :slightly_smiling_face: ) Let’s see. Your question – unless I’m incorrect… and if I am, please except my apologies – was “Does that include the ones where the presenter repeats himself 98 times through the vid?” Hmmm.

“Does that include the ones where the presenter repeats himself 98 times through the vid?”

Well, I’m sure you realize that a presenter may also be female, therefore, your question – as such – gives me, upon reflection, great pause. Hmmmmm…“himself”. Him. Well, assuming the possibility that some female presenters have also stretched their videos (and I have absolutely no reason to believe that they have padded their videos more than their male counterparts), then one might consider replacing “himself” with “himself or herself”, or perhaps even “herself or himself”, or “his or herself” (although that would drag us into the grammatical mud of non-parallel pronouns – and we certainly don’t want that. Do we. I’m sure you don’t. I trust that is a safe assumption; please let me no if that isn’t. I’m all ears. Apologizing in advance… if needed.) Continuing. So. Reading your most excellent question as “Does that include the ones where the presenter repeats herself or himself 98 times through the vid?” (are we cool with that?), my answer would be… hmmm… 98 times, you say? 98? Do you have data supporting that number, because I really, really want to give you the answer you justly deserve. The right answer. You know, in the time that you could subscribe to my YT channel, I could break away and work on firming up the “98 times” estimate for you. Would you be okay with that? Hm?

9 Likes

Same thing with most recipe blogs - endless worthless prose and process photos before you get to the heart of the matter.

5 Likes

And yet they still don’t. They have shows, on one frogging big TV channel, which controls who gets to be on prime time, who doesn’t, and who doesn’t get any ads at all.

Exactly. For a new (to me) recipe, all I need is one good photo (so I know what to expect); a brief description of the dish and its origins; a list of ingredients and how they’re prepared; and a clear, concise set of cooking instructions.

1 Like

If I worked full time for a month I could probably get one or two 1M view videos. I’d make enough to pay my health insurance and buy some food. So if anyone is willing to let me park my RV on your property and use your WiFi then I suspect I can have a go at this self-employed YouTuber thing.

Or I could keep my current job. I guess.

2 Likes

Clearly, it’s a potato that looks like you. A you-tuber.

9 Likes

You are so calming, Kathy. BB Chamomile.

3 Likes

Yeah. I watch lots of YouTube, and they just can’t do most of what is on TV. Roadkill got very, very popular on YouTube, and they clearly said that they would not have been able to make a monthly show without money from Dodge.

YouTube can do other things, though. Good Mythical Morning is pretty close to a variety show. And I watch way too many tool and gadget restoration videos. Those get plenty of views, but there’s no way that could ever make it on TV. Video game playthroughs and lore videos also don’t seem like they’d ever be put on a TV channel.

I do love full documentaries, but there are plenty of smaller scope ones on YouTube that are great, too.

2 Likes

Some of the content might cross over pretty well-- there’s an over-the-air subchannel that featured segments from Because Science, which is how I found that channel. And I can imagine Emily Artful’s vids might make a good PBS Create show… except for the language, and irreverence, and the animal-skulls-and-flowers motifs she likes to ink and watercolor. :wink:

But a lot of the content doesn’t really fit the typical broadcast format. That’s why I don’t think it’s entirely appropriate to compare the two… they really are different mediums.

I would guess her one video that actually makes money the ceo one made money cos it was watched by other ceo’s, but the whole ten min vid thing is killing you tube, far to many people repeating them selves just to drag a video out to ten mins to cram in those adverts, thou, as some one who runs adblock plus ghostery and and million other plug-ins, its not like see the adverts unless i watch on my phone.

My pachyderm video, “10 Ton Reach-Around” has 34k views.

2 Likes

Should have been a video, would have made some money.

2 Likes

I suspect the trick of doing it as a job would be to make those two videos in Month 1, then two more in Month 2, when you’d have 2 x 1M plus 2 x call-it-0.25M, then two more…

That wouldn’t work for something that goes viral, gets 1M then vanishes into obscurity, but if your content was something that new people would keep coming to (‘how to’ videos, perhaps, rather than just ‘here’s a cool thing’), it might just work.

I follow a landscape photographer who went pro about a year ago. Apparently YouTube instructional videos are his core revenue stream. A photo job pays once, but each video continues to bring in a trickle of money.

5 Likes

Don’t forget to insert a couple of soothing ads every 5 minutes, for the full duration of the viewer’s peaceful sleep

4 Likes

Haha, right. The term really irritates me for various reasons, but I think the main one is that I feel that anyone who simply uses/watches the darn thing is a Youtuber, just like driving a car makes me a driver, and that it shouldn’t be used to refer to the people who post videos of themselves reacting to makeup on funny animals, or whatever.
We already have a perfectly good word for those people: “idiots”.

And if you come into my associates program we’ll help you get half of the money from people you bring into the program. Levels- all the way down! Get your family and friends onboard- all they have to do is what they already do all day - watch the innertubes!

• not a Ponzi scheme in Nevada and the Caymans!
3 Likes

Oblig, wait, Youtube has adverts? Not if you use an adblocker it doesn’t!
I’m still unsure why that works so well, I’d have thought it would be trivial for Google to insert the ad into the video stream, but somehow adblockers just remove the ads as if they’d never existed. I find it really jarring when I watch on a computer/console/phone that includes the adverts, I can’t believe that YT could get so popular if people have to put up with that crap.

Most of the stuff I watch isn’t someone’s full time job, instead it’s them filming themselves doing their hobby, and using the revenue to pay for that hobby.

In answer to your question, I don’t know and I don’t care, right now.

1 Like