YouTube obituary readers making bank

Originally published at: YouTube obituary readers making bank | Boing Boing

1 Like

Sometimes I wonder if I’m missing an opportunity by not creating this sort of low effort exploitative content myself. Then I remember I’m not an asshole.

13 Likes

Per the article it really doesn’t sound like many people are actually getting rich off of this. Ethics aside, it sounds like a lot of work for a pretty minimal payout. Plus they’re likely to get replaced with AI-generated crap any day now.

7 Likes

Hawking radiation?

1 Like

Hm.

Take 20k+ news article excerpts with tags,

https://trashpanda-x.github.io/darklantern/#Neo-Nazi%20Web%20Forum%20Iron%20March%20Has%20SQL%20Database%20Dumped%20on%20the%20Internet%20Archive%20-%202019-11-08

run them through my SP0256-AL2 text-to-speech chip,

cycle through images ripped from CrAIyon for the video.

Post them!

Damn…

5 Likes

Hocking radiation…I don’t get it. Is it a pun? Autocorrect gone mad?

Too witty for me.

It wouldn’t take much money to make it worthwhile, as all of them are incredibly low-effort - and it seems at least some do automatically scrape the text and images, use “AI”-powered text-to-speech software… it basically is “AI-generated crap.” The low follower count really wouldn’t matter if they have their own ads in there too.

huh. today i learned.

And no mention about the fake obits??? Fuck the offending channels… and fuck YT for allowing them.

It’s never too late. I know a guy who didn’t even start being an asshole until he was in his 60s!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.