How scalpers and Rolex store employees are making it nearly impossible to buy a Rolex at retail price

8 Likes

You kid…

6 Likes

If you’ve got the money, Franck Muller watches are much more tasteful. Not that I can ever afford one…

1 Like

The very concept of status symbols always makes me feel like an alien. Maybe I’m just not rich enough to understand.

8 Likes

This from 2021. I wonder if Keanu will have to reward his stuntmen with Omegas instead.

4 Likes

Or you’re just a decent person.

6 Likes

twelve bucks at walmart

7 Likes

Something tells me that Keanu can probably get his watches straight from Rolex if he so chooses.

7 Likes

Is it digital? Analog would give a lot less accuracy than a nanosecond.

ETA: hmm. Now that I think about it, most digitals would only give you about a half seccond accuracy. So I guess the analog is better

1 Like

I was at a moderately wealthy person’s house, a foafoaf, who ‘needed’ to change and invited us up. He was changing his watch. He had an entire closet set up with trays of those automatic watch winder things, all whirling way, dozens of Rolexes and overall hundreds of watches, as well as display cases and trays for his non-self-winding watches. When told (as he obviously expected) that his collection was impressive, he went on for a solid five minutes about other people’s collections, which he claimed often number in the thousands.

No, you will never satisfy the maw of greed, and Rolex could produce a watch apiece for everyone to have one, and still the hoarders and scalpers would ensure that the watches would only be available to the elites for a high markup.

10 Likes

I assume analog. A broken digital clock might not have a working display :wink:

2 Likes

Just unset, although most of the digitals I have now either just have the wrong time, possibly flashing. The “classic” flashing 12 could be off when twelve hits, so it’s up to the flash interval off.

Analog is limited by the width of the hands, so well, under a nanosecond accuracy.

Plus, analog has the same problem as digital with no display

6 Likes

I’m calling Zeno’s Paradox on this

5 Likes

Shoot! I had one of those and forgot they existed!

5 Likes

If the guy had just gone to Amazon, they sell Rolex at retail prices. The model he’s looking for is in stock right now: Rolex Oyster Perpetual 26 / $5,975. That’s only $195 above the price he quoted in the article.

1 Like

Given how poorly Amazon’s been handling counterfeit items over the last few years I cannot imagine a place I would be less likely to buy something like a rolex.

17 Likes

Perhaps more accurately, too. A quartz crystal will keep time “reliably enough” for years or decades without any maintenance, and you can buy a few lifetime’s worth of Casio F91Ws for the price of a single Rolex.

3 Likes

Bigger issue is who wares watches any more? The only watches i see these days are smart watches, no one but thouse wishing to show off ware a watch, and there are so many ways to do that, my phone tells the time and that is good enough 99% of people these days.

1 Like

Fine, Swiss made Swatches. Lovely country, wonderful product; and just oh so classy to have the only watch in the room made in a free country.
Pretty sweet gifts too; especially for less than a hundred.

1 Like

I’m enjoying watching Rolex become the Ford F-150 of luxury watches. Common. Boring.

3 Likes