How science fiction can help us survive Trump's America

Ah! Take me away from all of this, Jack Womack!

1 Like

Bah rules. Rules are for rubes, not self-serving con-men.

6 Likes

16 Likes

I sure as hell hope so.

5 Likes

Yeah, we’re really, really going to need some hopefully visions of what the future could be.

6 Likes

One of my refrains in 2016 has been that I would like to just become a full-on David Icke chemtrail saucer-cult wackjob, so that at least my fears would be interesting. Which is sort of a joke, but also sort of not.

People are now officially more interested in narrative than truth. The majority prefer to inhabit a demonstrably false but easily graspable fantasy, rather than a confusing reality in which things are overall going well and getting better.

Obviously, this is horrifically dangerous – it opens the door to sociopathic hucksters, and fairy tales won’t shield us from their mischief for long – but that is the only game the masses are willing to play. So maybe it’s time to ask if we can come up with better fantasies.

I don’t have the details yet – if only Robert Anton Wilson were here to help come up with a plan! – maybe some kind of sci-fi/magickal youth scene that embodies ideals of scientific enquiry, love, respect and civic service, and could spawn a successful chain of retail outlets providing copious jobs in small towns?

3 Likes

The majority haven’t really seen things get much better, is the problem. You can’t just look at jobs recovery and assume everything’s going well and people are happy, it’s what kind of jobs they’re getting (not good ones with a lot of security) and what’s happened to overall quality of lie in the U.s. outside of the rich parts of cities.

1 Like

little something I whipped up today

11 Likes

Ah, I was thinking he was going to be more along the lines of Heinlein’s “Revolt in 2100” collection. You know, the one with the passage: “When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, “This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know,” the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything—you can’t conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.”

3 Likes

Scientology’s original e-meter?

2 Likes

We won’t survive Trump’s America.

Another decade of inaction on climate change and that’s it for the Earth. We’re extinct. Turn out the lights and go home.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.