How to buy a second citizenship

Your theory is a sound one. Although posting a video like this isn’t going to help her avoid the scrutiny of the IRS.

8 Likes

You need to renounce the US citizenships to do that and that is probably not going to hide existing assets.

Edit. Got distracted while posting and the symphony of others mentioned the various issues.

3 Likes

Spending time in prison can impede one’s lifestyle. A second citizenship could come in handy if one must escape some Justice imposed (or pending) by one’s first country, especially when the second country’s government is very friendly and is not averse to being greased (and easily so since someone, such as expat-lady, would have already moved their money there and – not to mention – given up their first citizenship before the shit hit the fan.) This video is a how-to for (see below) types.

8 Likes

I suspect the point isn’t to actually move there, but to have it as a paper citizenship.

Countries that disappear beneath the waves will likely exist, officially, at least for a while as “ex-situ” countries, even as their citizens live elsewhere.

Yeah, that was the first thing to jump out at me. I can’t imagine her new citizenship affords her any opportunities she didn’t already have. I guess not doing research is how she lives her life in every respect…

7 Likes

“Watch this white lady burn $150k for no reason!”

4 Likes

The fee was $150,000

So she just had that kind of cash lying around?

4 Likes

For the money not a particularly great passport.

There’s better ones you can get for investing in the country instead of paying a fee.

13 Likes

Ooh. Even though I have no intention of getting a second passport, that’s a pretty cool site.

2 Likes

It’s not like I could afford the investment either -but that’s what grandparents from other countries are for anyway :wink:

you get to be a citizen from some of those countries.

4 Likes

Good point, I had not thought that through.

Rather like governments-in-exile during time of war, except we’re at war with planet Earth.

7 Likes

I am a dual US+EU passport holder, as my parents have been. My entire family lives in the EU. My father renounced his US citizenship a few years ago specifically because of the tax hassle. It was a very painful process for him, both mentally and financially.

For that reason, I think the US’s expatriate tax behavior is stupid. It’s not effective at dealing with the big fish, and it just frustrates and alienates its expatriate citizens.

14 Likes

Unless it’s sold by Gwyneth Paltrow, then it’s about the same.

1 Like

Dual citizen here. US born, moved to New Zealand in 2005 with a permanent residency. (My partner and I had enough points (age, experience, education) to qualify). We became citizens in 2009. THe total cost was about US$5000. Now remember, he and I did this with the intention to permanently live and work and contribute to the New Zealand economy and society so I believe our intentions were a bit more honorable than woman in the video.

As for our tax obligations, NZ and the US have reciprocal agreements, Kiwis in the US pay US tax, Yanks in New Zealand pay New Zealand tax.

As for voting, I turn up at the polls here in New Zealand and I also dutifully mail in my ballot for every primary and general election (BTW, when you live overseas, you’re registered in the state you last lived.

As for military service, NZ has an all-volunteer army. Also I’m 55 so they really don’t want me ;-). But I can work for certain government agencies and receive government clearance now that I am a Kiwi. And, no, the fact that I am also a US citizen would not affect that decision. But I would imagine that if we had kids who also became naturalised NZ citizens, when they turned 18 they would be required to be in the military if NZ had compulsory service.

As for what happens if the two countries go to war? That’s such a remote possibility that my partner and I didn’t even consider that as an issue. ((Yeah, but what if it happens? What if the US and NZ go to war?)) Dude, it’s just not going to happen. (NZ is part of the “5 Eyes” spy network with the US, Canada, the UK, and Australia).

Finally, comparing dual citizenship to having two spouses or following two religions is really a false equivalence. To me, it sounds as if your saying that living, working, voting, and paying tax in another country is somehow “cheating” in the country of your birth. I have to ask why you feel your citizenship requires the same deference as your spouse or your religion.

Finally, I would suggest you don’t bite your tongue when you meet other dual citizens. Ask about their loyalties (delicately, of course). OK, maybe not use the word ‘loyalties’ that can be a loaded word. So maybe about their feelings regarding both countries and both you and the other person may find the conversation enlightening.

21 Likes

Some passing semblance one might say, but where’s the problem with any of these things? :joy:

7 Likes

At least we’re winning.

sigh

3 Likes

Planet Money did an episode on this.

2 Likes

Do rich people battle with those things like Pokémon cards?

10 Likes

“this is not legal guidance …now, this guide to …”

/smh

1 Like

" In this case, I am guessing the trick is she will open the account as a St. Kitt citizen. Problem solved because the account wasn’t opened by an American citizen."

Doesn’t work. (Dual citizen here, US and New Zealand) when I open a new account here in NZ the ask if you HOLD a US citizenship. They don’t ask “which citizenship do you wish to claim for this account”.

11 Likes

I don’t know. But I’d like to be like Jason Bourne when he opened the safety deposit box!

7 Likes