How to change people’s minds on social issues with "deep canvassing"

Clearly you haven’t seen the superior layout yet: https://boingboing.net/ascii

6 Likes

That actually works really well when opened via Lynx. For Chromium … still going to pass.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s referring to the volunteer’s get-up-and-go, or their game of go, being transported door-to-door. Who needs verbs any more anyway? They’re so 20th century. ‘Doing’ words? Pah.

2 Likes

Some days I wish the whole web looked like that. I could do without the Courier look, but the lack of anything moving–even the lack of visuals–is sort of soothing. Maybe I need some extension with a bit more extreme an effect than an adblocker. (Off to search.)

2 Likes

Lynx? Or you could pull a Stallman and have your pages emailed to you.

2 Likes
2 Likes

You might like this website then.

4 Likes

OK, I confess/brag that I’ve been poking about the web long enough that my first browser was Mosaic on a SPARC station, but that’s seriously too old-school for me.

1 Like

If you have no door or doorbell, yes.

Otherwise, a door, a doorknocker or a doorbell is an invitation to the outside world for contact.

You neither have to answer the door nor engage the visitor.

1 Like

my first browser was telneting into some israeli university site. Very unsophisticated. Lynx was fancier.

The first internet browser ever had a GUI.

2 Likes

How to change people’s minds on social issues with “deep canvassing”

I bet it works marginally better than making a podcast, at least.

This is similar to saying that I don’t have to answer my phone when it rings, and therefor have no basis to be opposed to spammers ringing me constantly.

And in the case of someone at my door, there is an additional element of physical threat. There have been hostile people who’ve gone around my neighborhood, intimidating people and even in some cases robbing them. Even if I choose not to open the door, I have to worry how long they’ll linger there, and if they happen to see me through the front window whether they’ll take my not answering to be an affront worthy of some kind of retribution.

And I don’t want to have to try to guess whether a given doorbell ring is my neighbor’s child coming to play at our house, or some guy trying to sell stuff who talks to fast and constantly that I have no choice but to be rude in order to dismiss him.

I go out into the world, I read multiple media sources, I’m and independent thinker and I’m as informed as I want to be about the state of things. I don’t need to be saved, educated, equipped, changed, harrassed, or worn out. My house is my sanctuary. Interlopers – some of them well-intentioned, some not – are disrupters to that sanctuary.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.