How to change someone's opinion in an argument

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

Perl was created by precisely such a smartass for that explicit purpose. So, if I map { Follow ($_) } @Policies Iā€™m forced to conclude that I am correct.

1 Like

Indeedā€¦it seems that many people read a post just long enough to decide which category of wrong-minded idiots the writer belongs to. When they detect a single attribute or opinion that matches a given category, they instantly file the writer away. They are a ā€œSJW, MRA, homophobe, commie, religious nut, feminazi, racistā€ or whatever other labels they use to delegitimize people whose opinions they donā€™t want to consider. Then they bask in the approving warmth of all their fellows who also demonize said group. Wrongthink banished!
I wholeheartedly agree that the ā€œexplain step-by-stepā€ approach is best done as an examination of oneā€™s own opinions first.

6 Likes

So I posted that comment as an homage to XKCDā€™s other famous lisp panel that ends with ā€œostensibly yes, but we mostly hacked it together with perlā€ sorry if I was too brief and caused confusion.

However I would t call Larry Wall a smartass. Seriously, if anyone is a smartass it is the person that thought object factories were a good idea (stop making me noun a verb! :D)

I thought that was how you turned an argument into a bar fight.

2 Likes

Swift said ā€œIt is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.ā€ Iā€™d add ā€œand our opinions are seldom the result of reasoning, but usually of our environment and affiliations.ā€ Because of this the whole idea of trying to change someoneā€™s mind by arguing with them usually backfires.
Very few people will just say ā€œOh, you have argued me into a corner, so I hereby change my stand on this issue.ā€ They have to do it themselves, on their own, as they gain more information. The best you can do is to give them data and suggest questions which push them to examine their own beliefs, all the while walking on eggshells to avoid triggering a defensive wall popping up. In my experience, you also have to be very clear that they probably came to their original opinion for well-meaning reasonsā€¦they just didnā€™t consider this other viewpoint or information.

Iā€™ve never been convinced by someone who says ā€œIā€™m here to tell you why Iā€™m rightā€
But ā€œHave you considered that idea X might not be taking all the facts into considerationā€ā€¦that has led me to change my mind.

2 Likes

Nice way to generalize about people. You havenā€™t changed my opinion! XD

Dialectical arguments I think are basically the reason for and underlying framework of all human interaction. Those who havenā€™t figured this out just do it poorly.

1 Like

3 Likes

So weā€™ve got the policy, whatā€™s the effect itā€™s supposed to have? :scream:

How to change someoneā€™s opinion in an argument:

Suddenly agree with them. They may well reverse course out of obstinancy, but even if they donā€™t, someoneā€™s opinion has changed.

It may be hard to do that for something such as supporting scientific research. If you had a step by step analysis of how the research would be beneficial, it wouldnā€™t be research.

Thatā€™s just a nicer way of saying humanityā€™s screwed.

3 Likes

My dad had a habit of arguing with me even when we were on the same side. I still donā€™t know if he ever knew what he was doing.

There is definite value in this so long as their argument at no time relies on the step, ā€œbecause godā€. That is a step that tends to end critical analysis and entrench shallow opinion.

Maybe your dad knew that there arenā€™t really ā€œsidesā€, and liked testing ideas anyway.

1 Like

Oh, no; he definitely thought of things as being either his way or wrong. Sometimes he had to drive the point home if he thought that even if you agree with him, you werenā€™t agreeing enough.
But, overall, I want to emphasize that he had very few faults and he had a lot of genuine friends.

2 Likes

Canā€™t ā€œLikeā€ twice, but bravo. :smiley:

Then having pigeonholed the poster as ā€œenemyā€, the response is a dashed off extreme reply that not only burns the target but badly singes unintended bystanders. Who then reflexively respond in kind. And on it goes until weā€™re all metaphorically standing on opposite sides ā€¦ :sob:

1 Like

Hmm. Sounds like being married ā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.