How to fix loose drywall anchors

Really? I didn’t know that. I like these, but if those tabs rip the drywall, they’re useless in my experience. Does the tool ensure the teeth bite properly?

ETA: This?

So it holds it steady while the flanges extend? That changes everything. Thanks.

5 Likes

That tool is handy but I’ve never owned one.

If for some reason the tabs don’t catch you can stick a small nail in the wall next to the tab to prevent it from spinning. Once the tabs in the wall start to expand it will catch.

5 Likes

Why is this topic not in the CRAFT category

Bought a floating cabinet sink from ikea and the width and the location of the drain made it so only one side hit a stud. The other side we utilized the type you posted. The sink and cabinet were probably 75lbs (from ikea!?) and held up great even with a toddler hanging off of it.

5 Likes

Then there’s my house, which is plaster over drywall construction.

No, seriously- It’s similar to plaster over lath construction, but otherwise the worst of both worlds.

They used drywall panels with a grid of holes drilled in them, and then put something like a half-inch of plaster over it, so I get to deal with having to be gentle to the walls lest I get plaster cracking and falling out, AND if there’s a water leak inside the walls, I get the perfect growth medium for mold. And anything short of a traditional toggle bolt or toggle anchor just pushed into the drywall or just doesn’t hold.

I managed to make the old school ‘tiny nail and hook’ style picture hangers more or less work; the plaster work was done back in the 60’s and there’s enough layers of paint, wall paper, and in the living room one wall has that thin wood paneling with paint over it* that those hold OK. I also have a large number of command strip adhesive hooks that work as well.

( * Yeah, they painted over the paneling like the 90’s DIY remodel idiots they were. [rant about the former owners of the house omitted due to length and excessive swearing])

2 Likes

Noooooo! I hate plaster and lathe, but this sounds downright maniacal. I had a buddy who bought a historic home and went crazy learning old plaster techniques to redo the entire interior. He’s a great guy, so I was never like “why the hell would you do that if you already have the walls open!?!”. But I guess some people like walls that look like the ocean, develop cracks when you sneeze and are like touching the coldness of death itself.

Is this a product or did they hand-drill millions of little holes? Boggles the mind.

1 Like

It was a product called ‘rock lath’. According to this site, it was used from the mid-to late 40’s, 50’s. Since my house was built in 1962, it was probably phased out in the early 60’s as builders transitioned from plaster and lath to just plain ol drywall. I can also state that my house had chicken wire lath for the joints between the boards, much to the demise of more than a few reciprocating saw blades…

Your buddy with the historical home might had been forced to learn how to plaster- sometimes the historical societies are anal retentive when it comes to how the house was built as opposed to how it looks.

2 Likes

I don’t think he was under any obligation, but I think he felt one. Bless his soul. We live in an area with a lot of really historic buildings dating to the 1600s, so people tend to focus more on those and Nat’l Historic Register homes than a 1890s farmhouse. That’s practically brand-new!

Here’s a cool accounting of the restoration of the historic library in his village. It’s extremely old and protected, so even the materials used have to be specially sourced and masons who are trained in this sort of restoration are used. They had to create special bracing one wall at a time to hold the wooden structure up while the rotting wood was replaced and stones repointed. It took like 5 years, iirc.

Construction Updates - Stone Ridge Library

Edited for clarity.

1 Like

Whats that expression, tradition is peer pressure from dead people?

7 Likes

Electrician here. Nothing I use has generated fewer(zeeero) follow-up visits than Molly anchors using the set tool. It’s my number one anchor, with metal ez anchors a distant number two.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.