How to get rid of hideous pantry moths

Dont go nuts explaining them cause I can google it, but when I saw you mention Slake Moths I was like holy shit I know those things but I cannot for the life of me remember why! WHY would I know about a multidimensional pest like that…

its funny seeing such a weird thing thats then familiar but foreign

2 Likes

We have had grain moths, almond moths, and weevils. Some of the steps are obvious. Throw out infested food. Switch to hard-sided containers with a good seal. Clean everything. Vacuum any insects you see off the walls, ceilings and inside of cupboards.

We talked to our County Ag Extension Service. They said freezing foods at -18C for at least five days. They also suggested putting a small piece of dry ice in the top of suspect bins. The CO2 will displace the air and smother insects and their eggs.

The weevils were the easiest since they moved slowly and were easy to vacuum up. Grain moths headed for the ceiling. Almond moths weren’t quite as predictable.

The problem with pheromone traps is that they’re very specific. What works on one pest won’t work on another.

3 Likes

Jesus H. Motherfucking Christ on a Pogo stick. Anything but Slake moths. Even handlingers are better.

5 Likes

It also helps to take all the lämps out of your päntry.

6 Likes

Just great. You mean they’re after our Manwiches, too?

9 Likes

This gets rid of the hideous ones but leaves the pretty, charming ones alone, as it should be.

3 Likes

10 Likes

it took me too long to realize the title was pantry moths not panty moths

4 Likes

giphy

5 Likes

Moths have high entertainment value if you have cats.

4 Likes

tenor

I originally read it as potty mouths.

4 Likes

How to get rid of hideous pantry moths

So I guess we’re done with “looks don’t matter”?

2 Likes

Are these a warm climate thing? I’ve never heard of them before. One advantage of living in a place that freezes for half the year is that the most hideous members of the insect and reptile world can’t survive here.

4 Likes

We tried many of the things listed here. Kind of worked to reduce numbers as long as we didn’t drop our guard. Then we noticed a shadowy area above the cupboards where we would often see them. Since it was a bit separated from our food, we just sprayed surface spray on the wall in that spot.
Moth population crashed almost instantly…

1 Like

So pantry moth traps work against pantry moths. Huh.

2 Likes

The traps don’t solve the problem as they only captures males. These moths can also go outside the kitchen and make larvae which will eat holes in cotton clothing.

1 Like

paleo rice

“i knew an old lady”…who recommends adding spiders.

4 Likes

Unless your plants need to be really wet all the time, the cure for these is to let the soil/compost dry out as much as possible between waterings.

2 Likes