How to laugh online in 26 languages

Originally published at: How to laugh online in 26 languages | Boing Boing

4 Likes

hue GIF

8 Likes

KKKKKK is the millenial version of the boomer onomatopoeia qua-qua-qua-qua. Gen X people say rárárá!

5 Likes

What do the Quebeckers do? Will it change once the new language law is in place?

3 Likes

(oblig-o-simpsons)

6 Likes

In Nigeria, there’s LWKM and LWKMD which means “Laugh wan kill me” and “Laugh wan kill me die.”

Given that “LOL” is already usually an enormous exaggeration when someone finds something only slightly humorous, the hyperbole here is [chef’s kiss].

3 Likes

ABMTAG, for Ag briseadh mo thóin ag gáire!

Or GOA for gáire ós árd

4 Likes

In spain we use xD (add extra D’s if is really funny). “Ja” is used, but not as spontaneously.

1 Like

Amateur radio operators say hihi because that’s how telegraph operators laughed in morse code.

3 Likes

I worked with a Russian software engineering team for many years and they would add parentheses to the end of the sentence as a smiling or laughing emoji. The more parentheses, the more they are laughing/joking. This was a crucial cultural thing to understand, because their very literal and direct style of communication could otherwise be taken quite the wrong way. Examples:

“This code is really terrible)”
“I think I wrote it))”
“No, it was Sergey. He’s such a bad programmer)))))”

My only regret from working with that amazing team was not understanding the parenthesis thing sooner. For years we all assumed they were typos and none of us ever asked)))).

5 Likes

They don’t laugh in Greenland. Not online, anyway.

Such a shame)

1 Like

I once had an online friend who laughed in text like this:
kpxokexokepxokexpok

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.