How to make a decision when you are uncertain of what to do, Ben Franklin style

My Algorithms to Live By: If it don’t add up, don’t do it.

4 Likes

And did he remain Franklin’s friend?

If Ben was any kind of a friend, he would have included a TLDR summary at the end.

4 Likes

4 Likes

in Catch 22, Major Major used that system to determine his social standing. His columns were labeled “black eyes” and “feathers in my cap”. Though out of touch, he was honest enough to admit more black eyes.

2 Likes

ok, but knowing this in advance, how can you realistically abide by your intention to follow through, knowing that if your gut feeling tells you it’ll be catastrophic you’ll bail? To be convinced you’d have to promise to break both your legs if you don’t follow through, but then you eat pizza instead. So just to keep things realistic, hire someone to put a hit on you if you go flaky.

actually, by the time you check your bank account to be sure you can afford him, and have the guys phone number in your pocket, you’ll probably know which is the best choice.

1 Like

Capitalisation worked kind of like an underline/ bold in that era.
But yeah, I would love to have 3 days or more of time to just jot down pros and cons and make a decision. Usually, life altering decisions today are within hours, at max a day. “Do you want to submit your resume here? If yes, our portal closes by EOD TODAY”
(There you go, I capitalized for your Benefit)

2 Likes

Had to like this for a Catch 22 reference

WUT?

3 Likes

The fact that the first German-heritage/born monarch of Britain was George I (took the throne in 1714) probably helped.

2 Likes

2 Likes

:wink:

Sorry, couldn’t resist pointing out that awesome typo. I’m the Ace of Typos, but mine are never that fun. Also, yep, TIAL that. Sorta thing that keeps me coming back to BB.

2 Likes

This is the method I use at home for myself and friends. Many debates follow this sort of format:
“I dunno whether I want pizza or Chinese food for dinner.”
“Me neither. Either is good.”
“OK, let’s flip a coin… heads, pizza; tails, Chinese. Aaaand… heads!”
“Aw! I kinda wanted some General Gao’s chicken.”
“Ok! Chinese it is!”

2 Likes

He later went on to discover exactly what it was that Franklin’s letter had sucked out of the room.

1 Like

I tried going back to edit my response, but it was too late :v:

3 Likes

18th century English use was for caps for common nouns as well as proper nouns, but in practice syntax wasn’t particularly organized, often spelling was phonetic, etc., and people tended to capitalize randomly.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.