How to make a Monkey's Fist knot with paracord

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/13/how-to-make-a-monkeys-fist-knot-with-paracord.html

7 Likes

I really want my son to learn stuff like knots, but I don’t want him in the boy scouts.

7 Likes

You also learn knots in Ski Patrol, or various search and rescue roles, or mountaineering. No need to join scouts for that.

10 Likes

Or sailing and boating classes/clubs. Summer camp, and outdoors/camping courses.

There are also many alternative, more inclusive scouting organizations these days.

There’s also nothing preventing people from sitting around learning knots for shits and giggles. Not like Scouting has a monopoly on the knowledge.

10 Likes

i don’t know anything about knots – what’s the advantage of this one, other than it looks cool?

Monkeys-fist. Definitely a knot that a hiker should know - since it’s how you tie a rock in the heaving line to get your bear bag up a tree.

(That’s for black bears only - and not for badly habituated ones. If you’re in California, or in the High Peaks Wilderness, or the Boundary Waters, or in grizzly country anywhere, ignore that advice and bring a bear canister.)

Done right, it’s highly likely to foil a bear. (Key things to note. Nothing is accessible at ground level - I have to fish down that coil with a trekking pole. The branch is too small to take a bear’s weight. It’s at least 6 feet down from the branch and 10 feet out from the trunk.) Doesn’t work with highly habituated black bears, because Mama Bear may have learnt the trick of sending a cub out on the branch to bite through the line - presto, a piñata!

ETA: @Franko, did that answer your question about what it’s good for? Our messages crossed in the mail.

5 Likes

Not a lot of skiing or boating in southern Arizona, I’m afraid.

1 Like

It grants you three wishes. But be careful what you wish for.

11 Likes

That H. H. Munro - he was a wry swine!

Spelunking?

1 Like

Survivalist militias?

3 Likes

I can’t vouch for any of these organizations, but this looks like a great place to start:

My wife works in this field and if you can find a similar organization, the impact on children is astounding. In fact, one of their educators worked out in the southwest, so I know there are similar skills-based organizations out there.

3 Likes

Not even much water in caves here. And also no.

The extent of their survivalism is waddling into the nearest gun shop to spend another day talking about what needs to be done to those people, and what they’re going to use to do it.

3 Likes

It’s for throwing a line. Acts as a weight on the end, you can also tie a lead ball into it to make it heavier.

They have other uses too. Like punishing sailors. And are the original sling shot that laws banning sling shots were targeted at. Cause you can use it as a sap.

Yeah but everything they own is made of paracord. They gotta know knots!

5 Likes

Heh, the Ratel kit is currently watching a Zoom presentation from the ASDM. Not too worried about his knowledge of nature, but if he’s going to have any actual skills, well, he’s not going to learn them from me…

2 Likes

this GIF

Not a GIF.

Tactical paracord.

1 Like

This guy looks not-nuts and has similar programming, although Wild Earth’s focus is as much about community and ceremony as it is about skills. He may know of other similar primitive skills organizations. A lot similar language and offerings.

3 Likes

We are proud to offer a 10% discount for active-duty military, reserve and veterans.

Hmmm, don’t think my 4-year-old is going to qualify for the discount…tempted to send him to Cody Lundin at some point.

2 Likes

As I observed in the bear-bagging comment. No hiker wants to carry a lead ball, but you can always find a rock or something.

That’s paracord in the picture, but I’ve mostly switched to 3mm UHMWPE. It’s lighter and packs smaller.

1 Like